Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 custom vibrolux Mod to reduce Early Breakup

Hi all
    I have a customer who has 68 custom vibrolux. He uses both channels, But states he would like to have the break up later.
    Complete re tube has been done with all new tubes Bias is cool 60%. Changing V1 and V2 for 12AY7 was done
    with Mixed results. im going to see if a 5751 might cut it , But i don't think it will please him
    Looking at the map i can see that custom and vintage channels both go through V4 ( 12AX7) before on to the PI
    My little brain thinks by changing V4 for a Lower gain tube Might make some changes to the break up volume

Im hoping that a few of you experts on here have done a few mods with good results
    looking forward to your expert advice
    Mr A
    '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb Schematic.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arbutt; 06-06-2024, 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Just reduce the value of R45 (lower leg of the potential divider prior to the power amp, in place of the normal channel mix resistor) until he's happy.
    The classic Fender value for R53 (power amp negative feedback resistor lower leg) would be 100R, maybe try that first.
    Last edited by pdf64; 06-06-2024, 05:37 PM.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
      He uses both channels, But states he would like to have the break up later.
      As always... Knob settings are arbitrary. There will be no difference in clean volume whether the amp breaks up with the volume knob at four or with the volume knob at nine. The clean volume will be the same.

I think it's important to determine what your customer actually wants with this request. If he just wants the amp to break up later then you can keep reducing gain until you get it where he wants. Or you could change the volume control pots to a shallower taper to keep the gain the amp has but reduce gain at a given setting. Niether of these will make the clean tone louder.

If what your customer ACTUALLY wants is for the amp to be as loud as it is at, say, 7 but still clean (which is what I suspect) then what he's asking for is more power. There's not much to be done for this. You could try more efficient speakers but this is harder to come by with 10". He could acquire a 2x12 cabinet and put in a pair of efficient 12s, bypassing the stock speakers. That should make a notable difference. It won't change where on the volume knob the amp breaks up but it will be a bit louder.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes, swapping the volume pots from the stock 30% to a standard audio 10 or 15% taper would move the clipping point to a higher number on the dial / provide better resolution for lower SPLs.
        But sourcing pots that fit is more bother than tweaking a resistor or 2

Comment

What does EARLY break up refer to: available clean sound level or just low pot setting?
          What exactly was the result with 12AY7s?
          What output power does the amp measure?
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

My experiences with preamp tube swapping have been largely futile at this goal. As far as knob settings, it works. But it also reduces volume, sometimes significantly.

Swapping V4 for a lower gain tube will also affect your reverb. There are tubes that are half 12AX7 & half 12AU7. JJ makes them, the ECC832 & ECC823. The difference between them is which side is the low gain triode; depending on how the amp is wired determines which one you'd want. I find them to be quite useful!

Swapping a 12AT7 or 12AY7 for a 12AX7 makes my amp stay clean up to 9 on the Volume knob onstead of say, 7. Using a 12AU7 makes it not distort at all but puts out less volume too.

Try the negative feedback first because it's easy & cheap, but I suspect the same as Chuck - more power. I don't know if a Super Reverb will cut it, and it's unfortunate they don't make a BF Vibrolux Reverb RI. Otherwise if they want to stick with Fender, it's either a Twin Reverb or (horror of horrors - I JEST!) one of the Ultralinear models of the late 70s.

Jusrin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Arbutt View Post
              Bias is cool 60%.
              What makes you say that? I consider 60% fairly hot for a Fender amp. The number given on the schematic equates to around 45% so you are way over that.
              Hotter bias than stock means earlier breakup than stock.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Hotter bias than stock means earlier breakup than stock.
                I don't think bias makes a significant difference. Probably less than 1dB regarding gain. Clean output limit doesn't depend on bias anyway.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The trem probably needs bias to be set on the cool side for decent depth to be achievable.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, when Fender specifies a cathode voltage of 60mV I'm sure there's good reason.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

I don't think bias makes a significant difference. Probably less than 1dB regarding gain. Clean output limit doesn't depend on bias anyway.
                      For any given signal level you can adjust the bias and watch the output level increase/decrease on the scope. I don't think he is looking for a change in the output limit, rather the typical 'want it to start breaking up at a higher number on the volume control'.
                      I agree that the db difference may not be huge, but if you want to make the breakup later, why start by changing the bias to make it break up sooner.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Edit: I'ma dumbis. Just saw the schematic & see there's no bug in this. Can anyone tell me how to delete a post?

Even on a roach trem? I've heard this about the bias wiggle, but not standard BF/SF.

Just curious, not instigating.

Jusrin
                        Last edited by Justin Thomas; 06-07-2024, 01:48 AM. Reason: Jusrin didn't look at schematic!
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Morning all. Many thanks for your comments. He is bring the amp back too me on monday and has agreed to leave it with me for a bit
                          I really appericate the help on this subject
                          many thanks again
                          Mr A

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

For any given signal level you can adjust the bias and watch the output level increase/decrease on the scope. I don't think he is looking for a change in the output limit, rather the typical 'want it to start breaking up at a higher number on the volume control'.
                            I agree that the db difference may not be huge, but if you want to make the breakup later, why start by changing the bias to make it break up sooner.
                            Thanks G1 this what he wants really is for a later break up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

As always... Knob settings are arbitrary. There will be no difference in clean volume whether the amp breaks up with the volume knob at four or with the volume knob at nine. The clean volume will be the same.

I think it's important to determine what your customer actually wants with this request. If he just wants the amp to break up later then you can keep reducing gain until you get it where he wants. Or you could change the volume control pots to a shallower taper to keep the gain the amp has but reduce gain at a given setting. Niether of these will make the clean tone louder.

If what your customer ACTUALLY wants is for the amp to be as loud as it is at, say, 7 but still clean (which is what I suspect) then what he's asking for is more power. There's not much to be done for this. You could try more efficient speakers but this is harder to come by with 10". He could acquire a 2x12 cabinet and put in a pair of efficient 12s, bypassing the stock speakers. That should make a notable difference. It won't change where on the volume knob the amp breaks up but it will be a bit louder.
                              Thanks Chuck I don't believe that he will want to change speakers or even a ext cab is on the card

Comment

Working...
                              X