No announcement yet.

OT mod for Princeton Reverb issue???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 eight ohm speakers(into the pair of 4 ohm jacks), 2 16 ohm speakers(into the pair of 8 ohm jacks), 1 16 ohm speak into the 16 ohm jack. Singles of each. Rather confusing though it does work, if you are familiar with it.
    EDIT: think it would be easier 1 jack each, and have a "y" cable if you decide to run 2 cabinets.

Comment

Ok, I didn't mention it before because it might be confusing.
      But any secondary load combination that results in the correct primary impedance will work.
      As the OP's amp will have 4, 8 and 16 Ohm outputs, an 8 Ohm speaker into the 4 Ohm output + a 16 Ohm speaker into the 8 Ohm output should work fine.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post

Does open up the option of connecting mismatched cabs though - an 8ohm cab on the 4ohm out and a 16ohm cab on the 8ohm out provides nominal primary load. My preference is for 2x4ohm jacks, 2x8ohhm jacks, and a single 16ohm. Using jacks with a ring shunt you can still wire this arrangement to short the secondary with no plug inserted like typical Fender wiring for no-load protection. Clear labelling is important of course, but that's always true.
        This is an option. But there's still a confusing number of jacks and allocations for what goes where. I'm remembering a Mesa product that had an arrangement like you propose. As in: The two 4 ohm jacks are there for a 4 ohm load. So you could plug in a 4 ohm cabinet into a plug marked "4 ohms" OR you could plug two 8 ohm cabinets into both plugs marked "4 ohms".

To be honest I don't know one low tech rock guitar player that's going to get that right.

JM2C.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          I don't understand how this works? For the same reason that the Fender doesn't have the shunt on the 'ext.spkr' jack (and Marshall's don't have 'no-load' protection).
          It relies on a switched contact on each of the jacks being in series - so it's not quite so robust as the Fender shunt on the main out - increased chance of an oxidised contact defeating the protection, but it's certainly better than nothing. Inserting a plug into any of the jacks defeats that series chain and disables the short. I've attached an image below, hopefully it makes sense to you.

Originally posted by mozz View Post
          2 eight ohm speakers(into the pair of 4 ohm jacks), 2 16 ohm speakers(into the pair of 8 ohm jacks), 1 16 ohm speak into the 16 ohm jack. Singles of each. Rather confusing though it does work, if you are familiar with it.
          EDIT: think it would be easier 1 jack each, and have a "y" cable if you decide to run 2 cabinets.
          Parallel jacks for 4 and 8 ohm just avoids the need for y cables (for 2x8ohm or 2x16ohm cabs respectively), and given there's normally no shortage of space on the rear of an amp, why not? Only a few dollars extra for a couple of extra jacks and no Y cables to misplace.​

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          To be honest I don't know one low tech rock guitar player that's going to get that right.

JM2C.
          Definitely requires clear labelling, and Mesa could do a better job of that on their amps. But as a counterpoint, I've got plenty of meathead clients with Boogies that cope just fine.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I don't understand how this works? For the same reason that the Fender doesn't have the shunt on the 'ext.spkr' jack (and Marshall's don't have 'no-load' protection).
            See https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopi...267223#p267223
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Nice, but requires 2 different impedance taps.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I still like the idea of two parallel jacks and a switch. Plenty of utility in the real world when compared and harder to screw up. Whatever.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X