Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Jr IV and 12AY7 in V1 for max clean headroom

Hey all,
    Just nabbed a new Blues Jr IV and found it to be quite different from my '99 model. Very hot... as mentioned many times, the volume goes from 2 to 2.01 drastically. The biggest change to the preamp was reducing the cathode cap C4 from 22uF to 2.2uF and I understand there were some power amp changes that I need to check out. Adding a 12AY7 into V1 allows for my volume setting to be at 5-6 and just starting to break up. Really nice, simple mod. Cheers

Real 12AY7s are wonderful tubes... I scavenge every one I can get.

Jusrin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

YUP. Also a big fan of the 12AY7. I have a pair of vintage GE 12AY7's, date code 61-22 for reference. I normally buy J/J 12AY7's and use them for V2 in the Fender Hot Rod Series, along with a slight gain mod to lower the Drive/More Drive circuit to be a bit more tame on our rental amps.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

nevetslab nice to hear the JJs are good to work with for when my stash runs out.

Jusrin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Of the hundreds of tubes i have scavenged including yard sales and hamfests, i only got maybe 7 new 12AY7's. 5 were a sleeve of mil spec in a tube caddy puirchase, and the other 2 were 6072 marked and the seller had no idea what it crossed to. That being said, I think all early 12ay7 were made by GE.

Comment

Working...
          X