Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30 8 OHM & 16 Ohm?

Hello Everyone!
    I was wondering how to hook up a switch to toggle between 16 Ohm output and an 8 Ohm output. I see that the taps are there to do this. My friend owns this amp and right now the 16 Ohm tap is being used for the speakers onboard. He would like to be able to select 8 Ohm also so he can hook up a cabinet to the amp. Of course, both would not be hooked up at the same time. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Arn C.

Originally posted by ArnC. View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    I was wondering how to hook up a switch to toggle between 16 Ohm output and an 8 Ohm output. I see that the taps are there to do this. My friend owns this amp and right now the 16 Ohm tap is being used for the speakers onboard. He would like to be able to select 8 Ohm also so he can hook up a cabinet to the amp. Of course, both would not be hooked up at the same time. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Arn C.
    Is the amp a Korg Reissue model? I'm assuming yes, as the CC already have a switch.

The 8 ohm tap is a wire that terminated on the board (I believe its green if my memory serves me correctly) over near the existing output jack.

You could hook up a heavy duty SPDT switch to switch between the 2 taps (the 16 ohm obviously goes straight to the jack now, but would be moved to the switch). But...i'd recommend just adding an extra output jack (or maybe 2, to make the amp more versatile). You can run the 8 ohm tap to the extra jack(s).

The reason behind that (as opposed to a switch) is that you'd be able to run the internal speakers WITH an external 16 ohm load should you ever want to, and that's the least instrusive way to do it. I did this to my Korg RI a few years back and it's very convienant to be able to run an extension cab with the amp.

-Nick

Comment

Thank You Nick for answering my question!!!!

Peace!
      Arn C.

Comment

Working...
      X