Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding an onboard tube driven reverb to a Marshall 1974 18 watt clone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    Bruce...Build the Juice Box. Slave power amp with a reverb in a 5e3 size package. I know it may seem expensive for what it is. But it would be useful as hell.

Chuck
    A couple years ago I gave Andy an idea for a similar project over at MOJO which they now call the mojoverb.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/video-mojoverb.asp
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Didn't Maestro make units like this in the 50s and early 60s that attached to your amp's speaker with alligator clips?

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
        Didn't Maestro make units like this in the 50s and early 60s that attached to your amp's speaker with alligator clips?
        Yeah lots of companies did this type of thing back in the day... it is totally an old ass idea.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Add on reverb

Could the 6g15 reverb unit be operated in a similar fashion as the mojo unit?
          Clyde

Comment

Originally posted by clyde View Post
            Could the 6g15 reverb unit be operated in a similar fashion as the mojo unit?
            No because the power tube drives the reverb tank in the 6G15 and the output level is very low so your amp can work with a low level input signal.
            In the other types of speaker driven reverb units the input is sampling the dry amp's speaker output and amplifies it to drive the power tube, which then drives an output transformer, which then powers an external speaker.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

My thoughts on the 6g15 was to use it as the pre and ru it into a pi and pa. But, if I had read the thread a little better, it seems as though some better options had already been posted.
              Clyde

Comment

It actually gives me an idea. The amp I've been working on derives most of it's distortion from the PI and power tubes. So a standard reverb circuit is only good in a limited fasion. What if I tapped the power tubes for enough wattage to drive a tank. I would then need another dual triode and a power tube with a transformer to generate enough speaker drive. Thats only the same amount of shiza it takes to build most reverbs. I could then send it to the amps own speaker. Why not?..

I know Gibson did this decades ago. But it may be that it just happens to be a timely idea

Chuck
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X