No announcement yet.

Move Fender tone stack to back of pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Fender tone stack to back of pots?

Anyone ever done this? It looks like a good idea. It should eliminate about 20 inches of wire in my Twin Reverb. Always like to get advice before I solder...
    Thanks in advance...
    Jason

I can not think of a single reason to do this!
    Please do not do this if you think it is going to make the amp super quiet or some other nonsense.
    If it was a cure all it would have been done years ago by others, like Fender themselves.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

The thing is, are THOSE 20 inches of wire causing any problems? They are not usually a part of a high gain stage, nor are they usually real close to a high level signal. That is why we usually only shield the input wires if we shield anything. And the output tubes have huge signals coming out of them that can couple to nearby wires to the PI stage. These are not them.

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to solve.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That's kind of what I was looking for...

Thanks fellas...
        I'm sure you know where I got the idea from...
        "Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to solve"
        That pretty much says it all. It also seems like a lot of mods are like this, where you start off with a good solid amp, and then mod it till is sucks! I guess I'll leave the soldering iron cool off for while.
        Jason

Comment

To me it's not that daft an idea, if it's done as clean as hiwatt tone stack.

Comment

Hmmm... Dave Reeves....

Never been able to make my soldering iron work like Dave's...
            Wonder why...
            I've owned a few Hiwatt's, and the layouts are spot on, I never could get over the lack of wire. Although some great sounding amps look like a squirrel's nest inside! So I just fix the broken ones that people bring me, and unnecessarily modify my own amps!
            This forum is fun...
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            X