"downgrade" a twin reverb to a deluxe reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "downgrade" a twin reverb to a deluxe reverb

I guess I'm getting older and I do not have the urge to play so loud anymore.
    I'm looking more for a 22W fender deluxe, but isn't it posible to downgrade a twin to a deluxe. Well to replace the four 6L6 in two 6V6 I should decrease the voltages.

But how to do that, Which tranformers do I need to replace. And what should I do more?

Thanks for your replies
    Leon

Why not just use some yellowjackets and EL84s ?
    http://thetubestore.com/yjsd.html

Or.....get a smaller amp.....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by leejon View Post
      I guess I'm getting older and I do not have the urge to play so loud anymore.
      I'm looking more for a 22W fender deluxe, but isn't it posible to downgrade a twin to a deluxe. Well to replace the four 6L6 in two 6V6 I should decrease the voltages.

But how to do that, Which tranformers do I need to replace. And what should I do more?

Thanks for your replies
      Leon
      I have a SFDR for sale right now if youre interested.

Comment

I sold my Twin Reverb for the same reasons.
        I'm 51, it's stupid loud for bars & I don't do tours in large venues anymore.
        It also weighed over 100#. Silly when you think about it.

I first used only 2 power tubes. Very little difference in volume or breakup. A lot less than I expected.
        Next I plugged in a couple SubstiTube adapters with EL84 tubes. Not bad, but still a 100# amp and still too loud.

Now I gig with a Pro Jr that I've modded a little. I actually have a pair of them. One is stock and the other is getting a complete gut & rebuild into an 18W. For bigger gigs I might use them both side by side. Or pile them up and have a screaming little mini-stack.

They only weigh about 20# each, are plenty loud for bar gigs miced and sound freakin great cranked right to the point of breaking up. Stick an overdrive like a TS and a Blues Breaker pedal in front of it for a couple drive flavors and I'm done. Well, that doesn't stop me from filling my pedal board up with everything from delays to a uniVibe clone & of course a crybaby.

I was going to go with a DR, but it would actually be a little loud to mic in my situation and I prefer micing my amps. A leftover from my touring days I suppose.

Cheers,
        - JJ
        My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

I used the Yellow Jackets in my silverface Twin, and it really didn't make enough of a difference.

Now, if you measure your plate voltage you might be able to run to JJ 6V6 instead of 4 6L6, I don't know what kind of difference that will make though.

Comment

Originally posted by JJGross View Post

Now I gig with a Pro Jr that I've modded a little.

Cheers,
            - JJ
            How old is your Pro Jr.?Are you using the stock speaker?What do you think of the cabinet?
            I'm thinking of buying one that needs some work and remaking it into something different,maybe an 18 watter also.

Comment

Run 2x6V6 (in either 2 outer, or 2 inner sockets), if you know that the tubes can be biased in range at under 425vdc, use any brand, if you don't know this, or have higher plate voltages use JJ6V6 (again biased accordingly - don't just whack in 6V6 and hope for the best).

Rewire the 2x 8ohm speakes in series for a load of 16ohms, or replace one speaker with a 16ohm 12" and just use that (disconnect the other).

You now have a DR with 100W transformers & 2x12", for the price of the tubes it's worth a try (also try a 12AX7 in V6 to bring down headroom?). Your ears may be fooled, but your back certainly won't be! :-)

Comment

Working...
              X