Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mocklah
    replied
    oh, ray, thanks for the pep talk! (i'd give you the "wink" emoticon, but the one on this board looks weird).
    over all, i'm just happy to have one back.

-mike

Leave a comment:

• mocklah
    replied
    actually, it's one guy driving the prices up on the 2555 lately. the last two before the one i got, were won buy a guy w/the ebay name "legacystudios". one for 2100ish and one for 2500 w/buy it now.

i was for sure that guy had enough 2555s for his studio by now.

so on the next one i saw, i set my max bid for 2200 at the last possible minute.
    i kept refreshing and it was staying at 1500! i was totally stoked!

then when time was up i was the winner at 2100! WTF!
    i looked at the bid history...and sure enough, "legacystudios" wanted another one!
    he was bidding manually. i just beat him chronologically. i'm sure if he had more time he woulda paid 3000 if he had to.

mad all over again,
    -mike

legacystudios

Leave a comment:

• Ray Ivers
    replied
    Mike,

Hey, don't feel bad - someone else bought the other one for $2K too, so that would seem to be the going rate for these amps right now... plus you got a silver one, which should hold its value better than the black or Slash-reissue models. BTW, this isn't exactly the easiest circuit to clone, so I'd also be happy you didn't go the mod-another-JCM800 route and end up with a big headache (along with a big cut in resale value) to go along with the money & time you put out. You've got your killer amp back again (which it seems to me you won't be selling ever) and it's even got a choke! - not bad for a day's work, IMO.

Ray

Leave a comment:

• mocklah
    replied
    yeah, it's pretty bad. i paid 2 grand for the 2555.
    but i had to get one asap after having the jubilee tone for almost 2 decades.

i wish slash never used 'em.

-mike

Leave a comment:

• Carl / Zwengel Amps
    replied
    $1000.00 for a used 1x12?!!

Is it just me or are the prices on some of this stuff getting just stupid?

-Carl

Leave a comment:

• mocklah
    replied
    update

i missed my jubilee so much, i got impatient n paid too much for a 2555.

still may get a 2554 if the price is right someday.
    because of this thread, i did bid on a couple...i just lost.

thanks for your help eveyone.

-mike

Leave a comment:

• Ray Ivers
    replied
    Mike,

That sounds like a plan. You may also be able to 'hang' the choke below the power transformer, using a flanged sheet-metal bracket from the PT-lamination through-bolts; obviously be sure and insulate the extended choke wiring well if you do this, but I've seen many pieces of equipment with PS-related 'umbilical cords' (like Ampeg SVT's) that were completely safe.

Ray

Leave a comment:

• mocklah
    replied
    thanks ray,
    if i end up getting a 2554, now that i'v read this, i'll try various temporary mounting locations before i commit.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Ivers
    replied
    Mike,

Check out the center picture at the bottom this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-2554-Si...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think you could easily shoehorn a choke into that chassis (or box for that matter), which is probably why Marshall pulled it in this amp. You can't put it just anywhere on the chassis, a filter choke can throw out a large hum field and should be placed well away from any preamp or low-level circuitry.

FWIW, I put a choke into my 30th Anniversary head to replace the 100 ohm 4W resistor Marshall used. The amp seemed a little tighter and more defined in the low end at high volumes and had a tiny bit less hum at all levels, but that's all the change I noticed.

Ray

Leave a comment:

• mocklah
    started a topic marshall jubilee 2554 combo, no choke.

marshall jubilee 2554 combo, no choke.

i posted this over at the "plexi palace" forum. maybe you guys can take a shot.

i got my silver jubilee 2553 stolen back in november of last year. i bought a laney gh100l to hold me over till i figured out what i was gonna do. but it just made me realize that i need to get the sound back that i've had since '87 asap.

of course i turned to ebay. at first i was first i was outraged to see that they were going for over twice as much than what i bought it for new. i don't care that slash likes em...but i guess everyone else does, and i have to suffer for it. oh well.

anyway, ive been looking at the 2554 1x12 combo thinking i can pull the amp portion n' put in a rack or jtm45 style case. the only thing stopping me is that it doesn't have a "choke" like all the other 50w jubilees.

so my question is, can i just add a jcm-800 style choke? and then would it be just like the full size 2550?

thanks
    -mike

p.s. i know all about the diode clipping (haha), but feel free to give me crap if you like :wink:
    Last edited by mocklah; 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM.
Working...
X