Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC15CCI + tone cut knob question.

http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/
    I've done the boost knob bright cap removal, which removed some spike-cicles in HF reponses. [whew], pretty easy pull with curvenose pliers, once I loosened the pot'board.
    Then I moved down to this one:
    Tone Cut Mod
    The AC15CC does not come with a tone cut control installed. Instead, it has a fixed value resistor which is set at 220K. This value simulates the tone cut control set at ‘no cut’ so the maximum amount of top end is allowed through. In my opinion, a Top Boost circuit needs a tone cut control to help tame the top end. You can install a pot so that you have a full tone cut control like an AC30. I have dropped the value of the tone cut resistor to 180K, which simulates the tone cut control set at about 10-11 0′clock, roughly. I find that with this setting and the tone knob on my guitar, I can keep the top end in check.

To perform this mod you need to follow the ‘Accessing the PCB Board’ guide above, as you need to access the main PCB board. Locate the resistor R23, circled in diagram below, and remove it. Replace it with the new resistor value of 180K, or lower if you desire. I used a carbon film 1 watt resistor here. If you decide to use a pot instead, solder the wires from the pot here in place of a resistor. As the reverb on this amp is quite woeful, removing the reverb pot and replacing it with your tone cut pot is a good idea, if you don’t want to drill new holes in your chassis.
    Looking at the pic of his board, where the 220k is, on my board is 22ohm resistor...hmmm.
    Anyone know what the 220k does and where it's located in the schematic ?
    I now have a pothole between the AC main and standy switches..any recommended alternatives starting with 500k linear pot ?..I have different values around here. A .005uf cap, and a .1uf to choose from.

Whelps...got through it nice !

I think the Merc Mags made the high end clearer, and with the tone cut preset at 0% treble cut, that equated to...the sharp high end the drummer and I noticed.
    Mod 1 involved the simple extraction of the cap shown on the linked page above, very easy, helped out with the HF response taming.
    Mod 2 involved drilling for and extra pot [500k] then realizing the resistor I have in the position shown on the Voxmod page isn't 220k, it's more like 22ohm...daft...extra pot sits idle for now, mod removed [I should have measured the resistor.
    Mod 3 Involved simply taking the 121 cap removed in Mod1, and placing it right across the input jack tip/gnd.
    0 dollar instant success, it makes the tone knob usable around 5 now, before anything above about 0 brought in some nasties with it. Also helps to control 'Tele noise'.
    Mods 1 and 3 being related to the same individual component, it makes itself available for super easy treble-cut position on the input jack PCB...just 'hump' the cap/leads so a teeny bit of pressure slides the lead to the pad/switchlug corner when the solder warms up, do the other side, the cap lead spacing is perfectly matched to the tip/sleeve lugs from the jack that protrude through the PCB.
    Very easy and...absolutely necessary in my case, still, tons of almost as bright as before brightness is still dialable with the treble knob. If you have an AC15CCI, this mod is very easy [main drawback is the pots tend to 'fight' the 1/8'' clash with the main PCB, a little delicate puzzle work gets the board far enough out that curvenose pliers can grasp the caphead. Slappin' it on the jack PCB..then putting the potboard back together.
    Now for that silly pothole I put by the AC switches...hmmm

Comment

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but I’m looking to add a cut knob. The guitarpug website is no longer around, so I’m at a loss. Did you use a 220k ohm pot? A lower, 220 ohm pot? Thanks!

Comment

The 'Cut' pot is 220k

Comment

Working...
        X