OT Recommendation for Peavey Delta Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Recommendation for Peavey Delta Blues

I want to upgrade the OT on my DB and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The MM tranny is pretty expensive. Any other options???

Thanks,
    Ron

I tried a heyboer, which is a very highly regarded brand. The stock OT sounded better ! Seriously. Some say because it's so puny it saturates better. whatever it is i don't care....the stock one sounded considerably better. It may also be because a "better" OT may truly be better, but may not make any difference in cheap production amps. I also tried a heyboer in my home made marshall and a hammond turned out to sound better. So my recommendation would be leave it alone and try other areas of improvement. some wil tell you otherwise, but i did it and theres no big magic to be had swapping OT's in the classic series amps.

Comment

I must agree that my experiences with the Heyboers were also "just okay" ("generic" is another word that comes to mind). FWIW, I've also tried the Hammonds, in a few of my SF Fenders (Deluxe Rev., Vibrolux Rev., & Bassman), along with a couple of Dr.Z's, and a PV Classic 30, for a client of mine with EXCELLENT results in each case (improved definition, better low-end, less harshness). I must say that in each of these cases I used the Hammond 1600 series transformers, which are actually "intended" for hi-fi use (I didn't utilize the ultra-linear taps on the primary). They also have a tricky dual secondary for multiple speaker impedance options. I know that CE Distribution/Antique has a "kit" with a pre-wired 3-position switch and simple directions that makes it much easier.
      Mac/Amps
      "preserving the classics"
      Chicago, Il., USA
      (773) 283-1217
      (cell) (847) 772-2979
      Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Hammond has a new series of OTs, the 16XXA, which has an easy to wire secondary (0-4-8-16 ohm).

There was a post on the SLOClone board discussing OTs and had some recordings up with a pretty good comparison of OTs. The no-name OTs from Antique Audio Supply are made by a company called Magnetic Compoenents which both sounded very good and are cost effective. It's the one titled "CE Dist".

http://unionjackaudio.com/transformers.html
        -Mike

Comment

I wasn't saying heyboers aren't good. I was just trying to show how one brand isn't necessarily better. It's just a matter of which tranny likes your curcuit the best, and that could be a particular mercury mag or a hammond or anything.thats what i think anyways, but to the OP i say do some blue guitar mods. i cathode biased my C30 and a few other tweaks and that helped a lot where the OT didn't.

Comment

Working...
          X