Dual Reverb in a Fender Twin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Reverb in a Fender Twin!

I have had this idea stuck in my head for a while.

Would it be possible to install two separate reverb pots in a Twin Reverb that I could switch between using a SPDT switch or better yet a foot pedal?

This way I could go between subtle reverb to more intense "cranked to 10" full on reverb in the middle of a song.

Thanks, Greg

You could probably do it by simply building a modified pedal. The pedal for the reverb in your amp just grounds the signal. If you built a special pedal you could use a resistor to "half ground" the reverb. Thus reducing the output. So you could set a higher reverb level and then reduce it with the pedal rather than shutting it down. If you built the pedal with two switches you could have a kill and a half power button. If you wanted to get really jiggy with it you could use a pot on the pedal to adjust the amount of attenuation that takes place when that button is pressed.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck H; 05-04-2009, 06:12 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck, Interesting idea!

What kind of resistor would you recommend? Also if I were to use pot instead would I use a 100K linear pot just like the reverb pot in the twin or something else?

Comment

Experiment and find out. get a pot from your drawer. 100k, 500k, 1M, doesn't matter a lot. Get a hunk of cable with an RCA male on one end - like snip the other end off a patch cord. Wire the cord to the center leg and one end leg of the pot. Plug that cord into the reverb footswitch jack. Now the pot is a variable resistor across the reverb signal. Don;t worry right now if it adds some hum or something, we are just checking the concept. Dial the pot up and down to se if it alters the reverb level in any useful way.

Remember you proposed a hi/lo switch, so all we are looking to do is see if there is some reduced level we can use with a resistor. Start with this unplugged and set the amp up to play with a high level of reverb. Even set at its highest, just plugging a 100k resistor into the jack might reduce your level, a 1M a lot less. Once you have established the max level, then pplug it in and start fiddling.

If you find a setting on the pot that reduces the reverb level to something you'd like when compared to full on, then unplug the thing and measure the resistance at that setting. You can then wire a resistor of similar value into a switch.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You are right Enzo. Experimentation is key! I have to start small and think big!
          Keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks, Greg

Comment

I'm thinking something like this:
            Attached Files

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for the schematic!

What would happen with both switches engaged? Would I theoretically get a third reverb option?

Comment

No, that's why that switch is marked "kill" on my schem. When that switch is engaged there will be no reverb no matter what position the second switch is in.

So it's one switch that chooses between two reverb levels. The higher of the two being selected by the "reverb" control on the amp and a second lower level chosen by a pot on the pedal and engaged by a switch on the pedal. And there would be a second switch on the pedal that mutes the reverb altogether any time it is engaged.

So technically there would be three levels. If "none" is a level.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                X