No announcement yet.

Paul C mod for PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Rebuilding a Champ with a 10" and a Princeton AA964 but circuit but cathode bias and thought to do the Paul C mod too. I was looking around and came accross this post from a couple years ago, and remembered this about Princetons....About 20 years ago I wrote a letter to Ken Fischer and asked him about juicing up a Princeton. He said the first things he does are replace the 10" with a 12" and replace the stock Perinceton OT with one from a Deluxe.... I may bronze the letter....good advice I'd say....

Mike T

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
      I may bronze the letter....good advice I'd say.... Mike T
      I'd be careful with the term "replace 10 with 12". It depends on the actual speaker you have. IMHE the Jensen C10Q sounds juicier than the C12Q.
      The Deluxe OT will indeed add more beef to either a Champ or Princeton.

Comment

I don't like the C12Q Alnico either - C10Q does sound better to me. However, a nice 12" ceramic, like a Celestion of some sort does the trick. For a Deluxe OT to work in a Champ, it has to rewired from SE to push-pull, so it no longer really is a Champ. I just use the Champ cab and chassis because they are small. The Champ PT is sufficient too if you don't bias it too hot...it's the same one that is in a stock Princeton. But I have 2 rewired Champs. One was as a 5E3 but I wanted a little more fidelity for a jazz gig so I'm putting in a BF Princeton tone stack and keeping the cathodyne driver.

Comment

Working...
        X