adjustable bias 4 peavey bravo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grrrg View Post
    I put in a 10k resistor with a 25k pot but I wasn´t able to bring the bias voltage down below -4.5V. I ended up putting the 18k resistor I bought for a possible dual bias in row with the former and got the bias voltage down to -4.3 and -3.5 Volts with a plate Voltage of 385.
    Thats an extreme value based on the -18V stock value, how does it sound? Too cold and blocking distortion can roll in pretty bad, too hot and the tubes won't last.

I might put a 25K pot in series with a 15k resistor and use this to replace R60 (33k ) to give accessible values from about -12.7V to -19.2V, then measure actual current.

As an example the old Traynor Bassmate YBA-2 had a B+ 395V and used a fixed bias at -15.5V

Good luck!
    Last edited by tedmich; 06-30-2021, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I agree that a bias of - 4.3V looks wrong. Such a low negative value should result in excessive plate currents. If not, I suspect a problem with screen voltage (or bad tubes).

Did you measure grid bias at the junction of R47/R49? It should not be measured directly at the grids.

Do you get -27V at the negative end of C113?

Pease measure screen voltages at the tube sockets.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Question
        Is FAN connected to pins J38 / J39.
        It's All Over Now

Comment

The schematic is misleading
          The fan is a parallel load to the negative supply.
          If it's disconnected, negative output can only increase, i.e. get more negative.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-30-2021, 06:28 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

PV Bravo has 2 groundings. In order to be different on the attachment, they are marked with different colors.

Question.
            Is there a solid connection between the "red" and "blue" ground.
            If there is any resistance between the "red" and "blue" ground, a "floating" ground appears, which can bring to unstable operation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gnd.gif
Views:	290
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	935715
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Gnd lay.gif
Views:	281
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	935716
            It's All Over Now

Comment

My Bravo schematic shows 4 different grounds (maybe more
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Bravo ground.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.4 KB ID:	935751
              and the one on the far left is designed to elevate the ground 47 ohms for the heaters, helping minimize noise, no instability should result and almost all Peaveys of this era (and later) do this. And its always a FP or flame proof resistor, one of the few spec'd as an extra measure of safety.
              Last edited by tedmich; 07-01-2021, 01:59 AM.

Comment

My voltages for the bias might be wrong. Since I didn't measure the bias voltage but the voltage on the OT (shunt method). I cannot remember, it's been a while. I recall setting the bias while playing and I stopped when it sounded good and wouldn't change significantly when set hotter.

Comment

The voltages I mentioned were the ones at the OT. Not the bias voltage.

Comment

The voltages I mentioned were the ones at the OT. Not the bias voltage.
                    That makes more sense.

got the bias voltage down to -4.3 and -3.5 Volts with a plate Voltage of 385.
                    one half measures 150 Ohms, the other 200 Ohms.
                    So you had approx. 21mA for one tube and 23mA for the other. At 385 plate volts, that works out to around 8W per tube. About the same as maximum suggested by Helmholtz in post #28.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

that EL84 chart doesn't even go to Traynor (or Bravo) range; their B+ is 395-410VDC! (another reason to not bias them too hot IMO)
                      30w is claimed from fresh tubes but I would not aim for that...

Comment

The stock Bravo is not a tube killer. And the only reason anyone wants to make bias adjustable is so they can make it run hotter.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

EL84 chart had typo and values ended at 360V so I extended data. Click image for larger version

Name:	EL84 6BQ5 Bias Chart.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	955226

Comment

Working...
                          X