Reducing gain in dirty channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing gain in dirty channel

My V32 has more gain than I need. Thinking of tweaking the gain stages but not sure about the best way. In my limited understanding this might be accomplished by reducing the R7 from its 221K value to ,say perhaps 100K? Thoughts? Thanks Bob

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam...2_palomino.pdf

"Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

You could toy with that, you could double R55, you could play with C5.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      You could toy with that, you could double R55, you could play with C5.

Thanks Enzo. Any of which you think would yield the "best" results? Best meaning simply reducing gain without altering the tone. bob

Comment

I am more of a just turn down the knobs guy. I know how circuits work, but I am not into tweaking them. What I might like isn't necessarily what you would like.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          I am more of a just turn down the knobs guy. I know how circuits work, but I am not into tweaking them. What I might like isn't necessarily what you would like.
          Ummm... So am I now! lol! I piggybacked a 220 on top of the 220 R7 and while there was gain reduction I felt it was no better than turning down the gain knob. Heck it might have been worse sounding. The other simple switchable mods Ive made are nice though but Im done futzing around with the amp. The designer did a pretty good job with it. In fact the switchable mods were actually suggested by him. Thanks Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rockon1 View Post
            Ummm... So am I now! lol! I piggybacked a 220 on top of the 220 R7 and while there was gain reduction I felt it was no better than turning down the gain knob. Heck it might have been worse sounding. The other simple switchable mods Ive made are nice though but Im done futzing around with the amp. The designer did a pretty good job with it. In fact the switchable mods were actually suggested by him. Thanks Bob
            What about a different preamp tube ( lower Gain)? 12ay7

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
              What about a different preamp tube ( lower Gain)? 12ay7
              Simple and easy to try. Ive got over 1000 to choose from since I collected old stock 12AX7's,5751's,12AT7's,12AY7's for a while. That said because of these tubes other specs (besides mu) being different they do affect the tone when subbed into a 12AX7 position. Bob

Comment

I would try a 5751 in the V1 position and a 12AT7 in the PI position.Removing C1 and/or C5 would help,but I'd be more inclined to try the tube subs before altering the circuit.

Comment

Just an update. After trying a few different combinations of old stock tubes I settled (for now) on the 12AY7 in the V2. A nice old stock Tung Sol in fact. Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X