Crate Stealth GT50 voicing mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Stealth GT50 voicing mod?

Thinking of trying to tame my GT50's metal voicing a bit-perhaps make it switchable. Its very single minded and has a very strong treble/upper mids emphasis. Great for metal but not easily tweaked for anything else. Does anybody know/think by lowering R11 I might mellow it a bit? Am I correct in thinking this is the slope resistor? Thoughts?, thanks Bob

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...schematics.pdf
    Last edited by rockon1; 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM.
    "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

It looks to me that IC1A is where most of the tone shaping action is on the gain channels.
    ST in Phoenix

Comment

Thanks. Im somewhat of a noob with this stuff. I can replace parts and did a bunch of mods to my V32 with good success. Like in my trade(transmission rebuiler) youve got " parts replacers" and then you have "rebuilders". The difference being that a good rebuilder knows hows things work. With this stuff,unfortunately Im pretty much a "parts replacer". I do know to drain the caps,check with a meter for voltage and I have a desoldering gun and Im not afraid to use it! Any suggestions? bob

Comment

I'm hoping the more experienced modders will chime in.
        ST in Phoenix

Comment

Me too! It would be nice to be able to have a switchable type mod. the stock voicing is quite aggressive. A switchable more vintage voicing would be awesome. Bob

Comment

I've never modded one of those, too much solid state stuff for me. Here's a few things I might try if I had one here.
            Change C70 from a .0022uf cap to a .0047uf or .022uf 400V cap
            Change R40 from a 475 ohm resistor to a 1K-2.7K 1/2 watt resistor
            Change R86 from 100K to 47K

Change the tone circuit to be more like a Marshall:
            R42 33K
            C21 & C22 .022uf

You might try just changing R42 to a 68K first and see what that does.

If you need more bottom end you could add a depth mod/resonance control.

Never tried any of these, but if I had to mod one these are a few changes I would try.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods
            FJA YouTube
            FJA Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP View Post
              I've never modded one of those, too much solid state stuff for me. Here's a few things I might try if I had one here.
              Change C70 from a .0022uf cap to a .0047uf or .022uf 400V cap
              Change R40 from a 475 ohm resistor to a 1K-2.7K 1/2 watt resistor
              Change R86 from 100K to 47K

Change the tone circuit to be more like a Marshall:
              R42 33K
              C21 & C22 .022uf

You might try just changing R42 to a 68K first and see what that does.

If you need more bottom end you could add a depth mod/resonance control.

Never tried any of these, but if I had to mod one these are a few changes I would try.
              Jerry
              Ok I "piggybacked" a 100K on the R42 for a 50K value. Seemed to tone it down a bit. I swapped the speaker and so far just with the R42 change and a different speaker I seem to be able to get into more of a classic rock territory and still do its signature 80's Ratt tone-nice.....

On my V32 the components are soldered all the way thru the board-seems much nicer actually than just soldered on the bottom like this amp is. I'll have to pull the board to try anything else...... Like you said the amp has a lot of SS stuff in it! Still its never murky at least! Pretty tough sounding in stock form but very single minded. I bet you could make this amp into a more versatile monster!

Question-The C21 and C22 caps are big poly 400V. Do I need to replace them with the same type? Thanks much! Bob

Comment

Yes, high voltage caps are required. Also try a couple of old 12au7 in V2 and V3, then tell us how it sounds...)

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
                  Yes, high voltage caps are required. Also try a couple of old 12au7 in V2 and V3, then tell us how it sounds...)
                  Thanks. Ive got plenty old old stock 12AU7's.... Usually to much of a gain loss for my tastes. I may try the caps. Brought it to pratice last monday and with my p100 equiped Les Paul Special it sounded pretty good for classic rock tones. Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X