Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Filtering in SF Deluxe

Hi,
    I am a lot confused about the specific position of the 100mdf-450v filter cap on the far left positioned backwards from the others.

Scenario n°1: In a stock SF Deluxe all the filter caps should be wired in parallel with two 10k resistors. , all caps are positioned with the positive polarity on the same side.

Scenario n°2: In bigger Fender amps , (from the left) we have two 100/350v caps wired in series and the first of those caps , exactly the one on the far left is always shown in layouts positioned backwards from the others , between those two bigger caps there are two 220K 1 watt bleeder resistors . The others, three 20mdf caps are wired in parallel with 1k & 4.7k resistors.

Actually in my amp I have five 20mdf-500w wired in parallel and all positioned on the same side/polarity with two 10k resistors.

"I will need bigger filtering in my SF Deluxe , in order to mod my amp for more clean headroom I just got two 100mdf-450w and three 20mfd-500w , new transformers for it ; super reverb/bassman PT and super /bassman OT with 8ohm tap ,SS rectifier and Legend 1218 150w speaker.
    Then I was planning to switch to the second "scenario" with the two 100mdf-450 in series with 220k resistors and the other three 20mdf-500 in parallel with 10k resistors."

pls the question is:

1)in a SF Deluxe that is choosen the second "scenario" , in which polarity position should be soldered the first and second 100mdf-450 cap?
    (considering that in my Deluxe wil be also installed super reverb/bassman PT and OT with 8ohm taps and SS rectifier)

2)Should I respect the same actual existing polarity position (actually all the filter caps are positioned with the positive polarity on the same side) even placing the two 100mdf-450 with 220k resistors ? or place one of those two caps in backward position from the other ?
    (also in this case , considering the PT , OT swap and SS rectifier)

I would not do this work myself , a tech will do it for me but he does not know too much about Fender amps and asked for information about this specific filtering question.
    In the area where I live, in Italy I coudnt find nobody that can help.

thank you in advance , John

The only reason one cap is positioned 'backwards' relative to the others was to make the series connection easier. If you dont have room for 2 100mfd caps in series, why not just use a single 50uf cap? You can also use 50uf on the screens too.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
    X