Peavey C30 cap replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey C30 cap replacement

I would like to replace all the electrolytic capacitors of the power supply section,but,in the shop near my house,for C39 and C40 (47uF 500V) i can only find the value 47uF 450V . Do i can make this replacement or is it better to replace it with the same voltage?

Best regards

Giovanni

The schem shows 332vdc at that juncture,if that is the case you will be okay with 450v caps.If it really concerns you,F&T makes a 47uf/500v cap that is much better than the asian caps used in those amps.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
      The schem shows 332vdc at that juncture,if that is the case you will be okay with 450v caps.If it really concerns you,F&T makes a 47uf/500v cap that is much better than the asian caps used in those amps.
      I have found the F&T but.. the dimensions are smaller than the original ??!! In fact, all the electrolytic capacitors (high voltage) that I bought recently I noticed that are smaller than those of 20 years ago. But have the same efficiency or their life expectancy is lower? Can I trust?

Comment

Technology moves on. Your cell phones are a lot smaller than they were 20 years ago. Look how much computer they now cram into a laptop compared to 20 years ago.

Caps will be smaller because they can make them that way. Nothing to worry about.

You really think all the caps are bad in your C30?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          You really think all the caps are bad in your C30?
          I wanted to replace just the cap supply (C39-40-41-42-43-44-47-48). C45-46 replaced already last year.
          It may be that I might be lucky and eliminate the little hum in the background.
          (the tubes are new and selected)

Comment

I just replaced the caps, but I note that the 47uF (F&T) are shorter than the originals but they have a diameter slightly larger and they touch the chassis.
            May be some problem,knowing that the chassis heats up a lot?

Comment

As long as the + lead doesnt touch the chassis there should be no issue.If it is just the body of the cap making contact,dont worry about it.

Comment

Only the external film was in contact but mounted with screws this contact was too tight because the F&T have a diameter of 2mm larger than the original IC, and considering the heat at that point i preferred to put back the originals. My impression,only a less dirt in the overdrive section with a sound cleaner and more defined,maybe a bit less noisy.

Comment

Working...
                X