Help with fixed/cathode bias switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with fixed/cathode bias switch

Can you gentlemen help me with wiring up a fixed/cathode bias switch to my SF Champ? I have the fixed bias board completed and wired to the rectifier. I'm just a little confused as to how to hook up a switch. In theory, I believe the switch has to short the cathode R/cap to ground while passing negative bias voltage to the 220K grid R. I'm at a loss as to the best way to hook this up, or what switch to use.

go to Tube Amp Kits, Tube Amp Books, Tube Amplifiers by London Power, search through the FAQ for the cathode fixed switch, there's a schem there.

Comment

Fixed/Cathode biased Champ...

Iain,

You probably need a two pole switch: 1st pole connects pin 8 of the power tube to either ground (for fixed bias) or to a cathode resistor and bypass cap (for cathode bias). Keep these two components separated by around 2~3". The 2nd pole will connect a grid load resistor on the power tube to ground or to a negative voltage, probably derived from the rectifier output (see Princeton Amp schematic to see how).

Having said this, this is alot of work, alot of parts and I'm not sure how much of a big change you might hear. I've done this on one of my homebrews (not a Champ) and cannot tell the difference between the two modes. But it's always good to try new stuff...

Bob M.

Comment

Revised switchable bias circuit (shorts the rk instead of lifting it between modes)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tubeswell; 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

If you used combination bias, then there is no need to short out rk....

-g

Comment

Except combination bias sounds like crap.

Comment

'Except combination bias sounds like crap.'
              Could I draw your attention to the vox AC50, which uses (the much maligned) combination bias? The several examples I've worked on sound excellent, with a room filling 3D tone that belies their performance on the test bench.
              The Sept 2006 Tone Quest Report gave a glowing review of their AC50.
              In the light of this, perhaps we could conclude that rather than combination bias being crap per se, it's how it 's implemented that matters?
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                'Except combination bias sounds like crap.'
                Could I draw your attention to the vox AC50, which uses (the much maligned) combination bias? The several examples I've worked on sound excellent, with a room filling 3D tone that belies their performance on the test bench.
                The Sept 2006 Tone Quest Report gave a glowing review of their AC50.
                In the light of this, perhaps we could conclude that rather than combination bias being crap per se, it's how it 's implemented that matters?

Well, those wacky SF Fenders weren't particularly worth writing home about. I do agree, perhaps Vox has managed to make it work well. I never much cared for it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FUCHSAUDIO View Post
                  Except combination bias sounds like crap.

Maybe better if you keep a check on your "kneejerk" replies. I know you don't like me. But I ain't no 19 year old punk, either.

-g

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X