Next project/looking for "one wire mod" clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next project/looking for "one wire mod" clips

Hey guys, trying to decide on my next build.. i got some cash burning a HOLE in my pocket!

I think the next one will have to be high gain (or high-ER gain) I think my Princeton reverb clone will be good for most of my playing, but sooner or later i'll want another high gain head.

Considered an SLOClone, a little too complicated... A hotrod 50xl might do me, but i have yet to see a schematic for it. I would do a JCM800 kit from Weber, maybe with better xformers, but they 800 kit is UGLY AS HELL!

Anyone do much with the 1987 "with the one wire mod"?

anyone with sound clips?

No answers after 5 days surely must mean something is wrong with the question.
    Anyway, I'm somewhat baffled by it, specifically by
    I would do a JCM800 kit from Weber, maybe with better xformers, but they 800 kit is UGLY AS HELL!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      No answers after 5 days surely must mean something is wrong with the question.
      Anyway, I'm somewhat baffled by it, specifically by...
      My baffling logic?

The question is fine, just nobody here who has done the mod i guess. I should be checking metro amps and marshall forums.

If you look at the JCM800 kits from weber, they are butt ugly. I think they are leftover SO100 chassis. I am sure they work fine, but they don't "look" right for a JCM800 Master volume. the JTM type stuff, including the "1987" circuit i mentioned, at least looks correct for that style of amp. I was asking if someone had tried the "one wire mod" that is commonly used on plexi circuits (A version of which is in the RR reissue)

Specifically, i was wondering if anyone had sound clips.

Truth be told, i found a Laney AOR that will work fine for a JCM clone, since the later model AOR circuit SOUNDS like ass, but the layout of controls and the headshell look nice at least. and a nice super heavy duty transformer will be nice.

Comment

Well, really nobody will ever "see" your chassis, because it's enclosed in a cabinet, and front and back panels (plus fancy hardware) are up to you.
        Part of the baffling comes from asking about a "mod", which is something made to something already existing, yet you imply that you have nothing yet, that you still have to build it.
        even more, have neither bought it nor are very sure about *what* to buy.
        Now, the option of working on an AOR, at least has more meat in it.
        If you have it, go for it.
        Good luck.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The consideration was that i was thinking of doing a 1987 as my next amp, but was wondering whether anyone local to here had done the "1 wire mod" and had a sound clip or 2, as I lean more towards the 2203 camp than the plexi camp as far as high gain sounds.

As to the chassis for the weber kit, it is backwards to a Marshall, the layout is reversed. I just find it doesn't look that "Marshally"

Not that appearance is the "be all end all" for me, but If i am doing a Marshall clone, i kind of like it to look like one. for the most part. I like the look of the plexi clones that Weber does. and if someone had done one with a one wire mod and had a video or audio clip then HUZZAH!

Comment

Hi Axpro;

I have a "one-wire" mod clip you can see on Youtube. Just search for my username, "882952", and look for the 50-watt plexi clone clip. It's just recorded with th emic in my little digital camera, but that camera actually does okay with high sound levels, and the clip was recorded pretty much dimed. The crunch and bite came through in the clip pretty well. Anyway, that'll give you an idea of what this mod sounds like. Have fun!!

Comment

Working...
            X