Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? about putting a 6l6 in a champ, same OT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about putting a 6l6 in a champ, same OT?

... I've seen several post about people putting a 6l6 in a champ and just changing out the bias resistor and cap. I am still pretty ignorant to electroncs and amps but doesn't the 6l6 have an impredance of 4000 ohm's and he 6v6 about 8000. would a stock ot be ok with long term usenof a 6l6? I have a bandmaster OT that has a 4000 ohm primary, can I install this in the champ for use of the 6l6?

I doubt you could fit a Bandmaster OT in a Champ anyway, but it is a push-pull transformer. You need a transformer designed for a single ended power amp.

Comment

A transformer only knows turns ratio,if you increase your speaker load to 8 ohms the 8000 ohm primary now becomes 4000 so you will have an "ideal" match.But it really isnt that important,you can safely put a 6L6 in your Champ,rebias and it will be okay.You wont see much difference in output as the 5 watt OT and the circuit driving the power tube will limit it.You may percieve a bit more headroom,but not a whole lot,I've done it,its not that impressive.

Comment

I thought using an 8ohm speaker with a Champ OT would cause the power tube to see 2x the primary, not 1/2. Is this wrong?

Comment

No, that's correct. You'd need to run a 2 ohm speaker in the Champ to reflect a 4k primary to the 6l6. AFAIK there is no such speaker made for guitar amps.

But I too have run a Champ with a rebias and a 6l6 tube. And as noted, it's not that impressive.

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You could run it into 4 8ohm speakers in parallel or two 4ohm speakers in parallel.

How about a 4-12" Champ combo?

Comment

You would lose some portability witha 4 x 12 combo.

I have a couple of stock Vibro-Champs. They don't get a lot of use, but I can't pass up a screaming deal on an old Fender amp. With an RCA to 1/4" adapter and a speaker cable, you can use them to drive a 4 x 12 Marshall Cabinet. It is much more impressive than you would think it would be. I would think that a Vibro-Champ with a stock tube arrangement, a couple of 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel and a couple of tweaks or tube swaps so you can play right at the edge of breakup (and control it with playing dynamics) would be just the ticket.

Comment

You can buy Champ OTs with a 5K primary tap. Still won't help you make more than 5W or so, but I thought I'd throw that out there. One of those Hammond 125-series would be the ticket...

- Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ThermionicScott View Post
                  You can buy Champ OTs with a 5K primary tap. Still won't help you make more than 5W or so, but I thought I'd throw that out there. One of those Hammond 125-series would be the ticket...

- Scott
                  I saw that triode electronics offered a champ transformer with a 5000 ohm primary (actually I have this one) now my understanding of all of this is still in it's beginning stages. how does having a 5000 oposed to the factory 8000 ohm primary affect the tone and/or power tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmybjj View Post
                    I saw that triode electronics offered a champ transformer with a 5000 ohm primary (actually I have this one) now my understanding of all of this is still in it's beginning stages. how does having a 5000 oposed to the factory 8000 ohm primary affect the tone and/or power tube?
                    It allows the output tube to swing more current for more output power, but it can also increase distortion. For a single-ended amp, that second-harmonic content is part of the sound, so you may like it.

I really need a spectrum analyzer.

- Scott

Comment

For what it's worth AES has an inexpensive generic SE OT about Champ OT size with 5k Pri, 8ohm sec.

I ordered one (because I'm broke & Scottish), but the Hammond 125dse or 125ese are beefier, and would probably help out the low end more and handle more current.

Comment

Working...
                      X