Mod for Peavey Special 130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod for Peavey Special 130

Does anyone have or know of a tone mod for this amp. I think the bottom end could do with beefing up a bit.
    Cheers. Dave.

130 watts, should be more than enough power to have a beefy bottom end. A different speaker should help.

A more drastic measure would be to change the design from an open-back to a closed-back cabinet, with a different speaker.

I'd also guess the distorted channel has less bottom since the amp is likely designed with built-in eq in that channel to cut lower end for a less muddy distortion, but that's just my guess.

Note that IMHO, in a live band situation having more bottom end would likely NOT be appreciated, it would start stepping over the bass player and/or keyboard, and also could sound very muddy very quickly...IMO of course...that's just been my experience.

Comment

Try a different speaker. Or unplug the speaker and plug a 4x12 into the back.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies, I am using this amp for Pedal Steel as I can't afford a Nash 112. I was hoping to keep the weight and size down. I'm an old git with a bad back and hip.
        Cheers. Dave.

Comment

I hear ya, I can't handle the heavy stuff any more either.

Try an Eminence Neo "Lil Texas" speaker, it'd be lighter and would have a tighter bottom end. I've got a pair in a Peavey Classic 50 and they do great.

That amp's got a 12 inch speaker in it? Is there enough room to mount a 15 inch in it? Granted, you would have to cut a bigger hole (I've used a jig saw many times). The critical dimension would be the outside diameter (just shy of 15 inches) and the depth of the magnet. The magnets on the Neo speakers are much smaller by the way as well as lighter.

Enzo's comment on adding a 4x12 cab reminds me of a gig once about 20 years ago. I was playing bass that time and they lined me up immediately right of the drummer, with the rhythym guitar on my right and the lead guitar on the drummer's left. (This really sucked because the headstock on my P-bass kept hitting a cymbal, put a few nicks in my bass). The rhythym player next to me was playing a Les Paul through a full stack, TWO 4x12 cabs with a Randall 100 watt head. After one song, they hollered for me to turn down my bass. So I lowered the volume a little, we played another song. Turn down more, they told me. So i did. We played another song, turn it down! they told me. By now my volume was all the way down practically, so I turned off my amp for the next song! They STILL told me to turn it down! Gee guys i can't get any quieter...you reckon it's the RHYTHYM guitar player you might be hearing? Huh, huh? To this day I'm still not sure they understood.

Comment

I have a feeling there is something wrong with the tone circuit. I have been playing about with it and there seems to be virtually no variation on the treble control or the presence control also the "Pull for Thick" switch seems to have no effect at all. Where do I start looking, any ideas?? Any help would be appreciated.
            Cheers. Dave.

Comment

I don't have a schematic for that amp...besides, I'm no expert--I'm only a hack

Enzo is the expert on Peavey SS amps, hopefully he can help.

Comment

Thanks Bill, I have the schematic and the layout but not sure which components (if any) may be faulty. I can check resistors but not caps.
                Dave.

Comment

How about checking the controls themselves? The ones not working. And check the pull switch on the one control with your ohm meter.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X