Moonlight Project: AB763 Bandmaster ----> Mk1 Mesa Boogie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight Project: AB763 Bandmaster ----> Mk1 Mesa Boogie

This bit of heresy brought to you by "Daddy's Junky Music". Many years ago I traded a skanky old ART SGX-Nitro and a crappy, crappy boss modeling wah and 120 bucks for my first fender, a ratty "Modded" silver ab763 bandmaster. It was modded alright- it has half a fx loop wired up, a pedal jack that- no kidding- shorts the oscillator to the driver and a bunch of "bullet holes" that are filled in. Also, I discovered tonight that the feedback has never been connected as long as I've owned it. It has a drip rail and 1967 dates all over it. It came with a good set of RCAs that I swapped for newer GT GE Reissues.

I've tried to sell it. I tried to give it to my best friend. I have no desire for a 50 watt princeton, I don't play country and I have numerous other fender derived amps. What to do? Well, I'm bored here at my parents, so it's under the knife. I already stripped what won't be used. To attempt to maintain a certain authenticity, I'm trying to use what parts come out to put back in. There's already some funny caps in here. I think this might be a root of future trouble, that the blocking caps may need to be somewhat more modern? Or at least less beat up and dated. Not hard to swap.

The non-reverb bandmaster makes a perfect donor, with a great and functional power supply and power section. The four stages simply need to be re-arranged and a few items added, all of which I have here in my stash. This feels very much like what would have been going on in marin around 1970. I'll keep y'all posted.
    Attached Files

Amp was finished about 2 hours ago (around 5 hours mod time) and I spent time time f'in with the head box and other bs. here's some gut shots- including some newish spragues I didn't know about- but don't know how it sounds until later today.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, it lives! The fb wire was likely never connected, as the ot was out of phase (wheeeeeeeeeet!!!!!) but it's got ok tone.

It can't, however, make lots of gain without sounding pretty ugly. I noticed one of the blue 047s had some cracks (I don't have but a minimal meter here) which I'll change out of suspiscion. It has good, loud, mid gain and cleaner tones.

More updates maņana!

Comment

Working...
      X