Badmaster gain mod, hey Bob P :o)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silvertone Jockey View Post
    Sounds like crap, not worth modifying anything trying to make it work. It's too far away from good IMO
    Channel cascading might be a bit much for now. Back to stock. Well, nearly. One of the things I commonly do with amps like these is alter one channel EQ to tweed/Marshall with a pair of 0.022 uF, 470-500 pF, 33k to 56K slope and swap in a mid pot instead of the fixed 6k8 resistor. I put the pot in the #2 input jack with a mini knob. Pot value, you can choose 10K to retain the Fender mid-scoop, or 25K-50K so you can dial up a lot of mid boost, almost an EQ bypass when you have it all the way up, full honk. An easy & fast enough thing to do.

Which channel to modify? Most of my customers elect to make the Normal channel into the AbNormal one.

If you want both channels to go reverb & vibrato, we'll talk about that later. Also not very difficult. I must have modified a hundred or so by now and satisfied owners can use an external A/B box to select input channels, saving a switching circuit & supply for same = $$$ saved.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Leo, I'm very interested in your method of connecting both channels for reverb and trem. Would you mind sharing?
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        Channel cascading might be a bit much for now. Back to stock. Well, nearly. One of the things I commonly do with amps like these is alter one channel EQ to tweed/Marshall with a pair of 0.022 uF, 470-500 pF, 33k to 56K slope and swap in a mid pot instead of the fixed 6k8 resistor. I put the pot in the #2 input jack with a mini knob. Pot value, you can choose 10K to retain the Fender mid-scoop, or 25K-50K so you can dial up a lot of mid boost, almost an EQ bypass when you have it all the way up, full honk. An easy & fast enough thing to do.

Which channel to modify? Most of my customers elect to make the Normal channel into the AbNormal one.

If you want both channels to go reverb & vibrato, we'll talk about that later. Also not very difficult. I must have modified a hundred or so by now and satisfied owners can use an external A/B box to select input channels, saving a switching circuit & supply for same = $$$ saved.
        Do these mods really net a Marshall overdriven type of sound? I want a drive channel, but one thing I can't stand is a scratchy sounding overdrive, all fuzz and no tone. The amp is not stock anyway so I'm not too worried about defacing (on the inside) a collectible that I probably won't ever sell anyway so I'm open to modding the normal channel, IF it gives me that Marshall type sound

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
          Leo, I'm very interested in your method of connecting both channels for reverb and trem. Would you mind sharing?
          Patientez SVP, I'll draw it up, scan it & post. But not right now, gotta get some work done. Sunday morning project. You'll be surprised how easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertone Jockey View Post
            Do these mods really net a Marshall overdriven type of sound? I want a drive channel, but one thing I can't stand is a scratchy sounding overdrive, all fuzz and no tone. The amp is not stock anyway so I'm not too worried about defacing (on the inside) a collectible that I probably won't ever sell anyway so I'm open to modding the normal channel, IF it gives me that Marshall type sound
            It's not an overdriven sound. You do have to cascade channels for that. As in, run in series.

The tone is more like what you expect from a late 60's early 70's 4-input Marshall or tweed Bassman. Way less gainy than the Marshall Lead series that started mid 70's. Remember Mr Bran nicked the Fender 5F6A circuit for early Marshalls so their tone is - recycled tweed Fender Bassman. A bit more aggressive than blackie/silver Fenders with a chesty "bark" when you push it, not fizzy OD at all. Very ear friendly.

All that and easily reversible in case years on you decide your prize is a collectors item & need to fetch max $$$ thru sale.

Comment

Working...
            X