Changing value of filter capacitors Pa amp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing value of filter capacitors Pa amp conversion

Hi everybody. I'm setting up a pa amp for guitar and was wondering about the filter capacitors. They are .05mfd 400 volt, and was wondering if I can safetly try a higher value like .22uf 400 volt. I see that 20 to 50 is a more common value in guitar amps, and I would like to give this a try. Thank you.

Are you sure those are filter caps? That value is more often used for coupling caps.

Comment

There's six of them. Maybe you're right, and the only filter caps are on the other side sticking up next to the tubes in those big metal canisters? If they are coupling caps, would it be a good idea to keep them at that mfd value?

Comment

You can play with the values some. You will see .1uf in 5e3s. A lot of guys will change those to .022 to get rid of "woofiness" or "farting out." The big metal cannisters on top near the tubes are multi capacitor "cans" containing filter capacitors. I see you are having issues on another thread with this same conversion. Fwiw I would take it slow, and lurk around this forum and through the archives to follow other people's builds. You will find answers to questions before you even have them. Many of us, myself included, started this way. There is a wealth of knowledge available, and most are gracious to share.

Comment

Working...
        X