Help Installing Master Volume in Combo Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Installing Master Volume in Combo Amp

I have a cheap little 15w Crate (GX15) in which I have installed (or at least am attempting to) a post preamp input (like an effects return in an effects loop) with a master volume for controlling the level. The purpose is for use with my POD XT Live. I've noticed I get a much better sound out of my pod when I bypass the preamp on other amps.

So my problem is with the master volume. When the volume is either all the way up or down I have no problems. But as I adjust from 0-100% there is loud hum that tapers in and then out.
    Any ideas how to get rid of this? Do I have a bad pot?

What value pot did you use? 1M maybe?
    Are the wires to the pot well clear of any line / power supply wiring or components?
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Amen. And where did you mount the new pot? And did you use shielded wire if the control is any distance from the circuitry?

And how did you wire the volume control, like a Fender amp or like a guitar volume control?

Is the rear cover of the pot grounded?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I used a 500k and the wires are clear on the power supply wiring and components. I haven't actually mounted anything yet. I have just enough length on the wires to drape the input and volume pot over the front of the chasis. I haven't grounded the back of the pot yet because all of the other grounds in the circuit are isolated from the chasis ground.
        As for how I wired it, I have the incoming signal going to post #1, outgoing to #2, and ground to #3. The ground wire is then connected to an open soldering point that connects all of the other pots on the board (again, these are all isolated from the chasis). Oh, and the wire is non-shield. The chasis is pretty small and the wires won't be away from the circuit board by more than 2" (probably more like 1"). Should try shielded?

Comment

would it harm anything if I bonded the chasis ground to the isolated ground? i realize it was isolated for a reason, and since i'm not very familiar with electronics i'm assuming it has something to do with noise.

Comment

Working...
          X