Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MOSFET 100 Mod

Hi

I am not an electronics engineer and don't pretend to be one. I would however like to get more gain from this MOSFET amp I have. Any ideas?

Thanks

Originally posted by Blick Fang View Post
    Hi

I am not an electronics engineer and don't pretend to be one. I would however like to get more gain from this MOSFET amp I have. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Are you talking about a Lead 100 Mosfet? If you just want more gain put an OD pedal in front of it, but adding gain to an SS amp usually just makes ugly clipping distortion. If you just want more metalish dirt, probably a Rat or something would be your best bet. The reason I say this is that these are one of the more peculiar amps Marshall made. Most people do not understand the controls and you need to have the footswitch for the dirty channel to work correctly. I have one my self. I gutted the head cab and built a hot rodded 18 watt clone in it. It looks pretty cool with the matching 1965A cab in red tolex. So if you don't have a footswitch get one. Read all of the Harmony Central reviews on it. Get a copy of the owners manual if you can. Then mess with the knobs and try a couple of pedals like I said. Its a finicky loud old SS amp. Don't run it on a 4 ohm load, (although the spec says you can) you will quickly short the outputs. Some people really like these amps, most don't. They actually make a decent "clean" amp with a usable reverb. They look great and they go for cheap. But you are not easily going to make it something it isn't. There is no magic bullet mod. If you can't get what you want from it by dialing it in and using pedals you need to get something else. IMHO of course.

Comment

Thanks for input. I thought of I could make a component change I could coax some more gain. I think now that I fixed it, my drummer will want to sell it. I will find out for sure if its a lead 100 Mosfet. It does say MOSFET 100. I will check it out tonight.

Comment

Working...
      X