5150 rhythm channel to high gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 rhythm channel to high gain

So I've done a bit on this beast and I'm satisfied with the lead channel, but the rhythm channel goes unused with what I like to play. I was hoping to mod it into a separate high-gain channel, but let's face it, the schematic is confusing to me at my level. To me, it looks like the difference between rhythm and lead is all between V1A and V1B, but I might be wrong. So I'm asking for advice and tips.

Here's a schematic link:http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/1...schaltbild.pdf
    Here's another link where things are broken down a little further:Prowess Amplifiers - Misc - Schematics - Peavey EVH 5150

Here is a link to the Framus Cobra I'd like to have there instead of a rhythm, though it appears that may not be a possibility. http://www.framus.de/media/manuals/A...Cobra_V1-2.pdf

The more schemes I compared to the 5150, the more I kept seeing that 1n plate bypass cap on stage 3 pop up. The Framus also has that component value there as well, and boy does that do the trick on the fizzy character of the lead channel of the 5150. It's real meaty now.

Thanks guys.

If I remember correctly (check it), you can lift one end of R20 (220K), which serves to limit the signal level in clean/crunch modes, and C26 (22uF), which serves to give weight to clean/crunch modes in relation with lead mode.
    Using the crunch mode this should sound very close to the lead
    You can use these two elements (with other values) to outline the new lead to obtain a good balance between them.
    Regards

Comment

Thanks man! I've been getting some tips on the reworking the lead channel as well! In fact the guy helping me has given me more than just slot A/tab B instructions. I'm learning, haha. R20 does look like it sends a lot of signal to ground, so I will try that as soon as I get the lead channel exactly where I want. Perhaps I can use that spot for a cap to drain some undesired frequencies. My plan is to use the Lead channel for metal rhythm sounds with a bridge humbucker and the Rhythm channel for leads with the neck.

So far I've done this:

R9: switched to 120K, drops some gain and loses some fizz (edit: also made the response tighter)
      C15: bypassed
      R22:bypassed Both of these components gone results in a more present tone with better pick attack
      R41:tried different values and just ended up removing it
      R40:tried removing it and the sound became very hollow and buttery, good for leads, bad for rhythm. Put it back in and the solid feel in the lower mids returned. I will play with different values or just slap another pot in now that I've heard what it's doing.
      R29:removed Single notes and palm mutes became more focused
      Added a 10pf Silver Mica connecting pins 7 and 8 of V5, the middle preamp valve. Found that on some site that said Mark Cameron said to do it. It helps with fizz.
      R28: replaced with a 10K and a 250K pot for a mid-sweep control. The mid knob has extra effect when the sweep knob is set to adjust lower frequencies and has less effect on the uppermost range of the sweep. Still very very very useful.
      Last edited by JacksonRR; 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X