Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info on Blue Voodoo BV120H Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on Blue Voodoo BV120H Mods?

Looking for info on Blue Voodoo BV120H Mods.

I just bought a BV-120H and I heard that it can be modded but I can't find anything that tells me what the mods are exactly and how does the amp benefit. I only found a video of a modded BV120H but the video doesn't discuss the mods. I also found some mp3s of the amp in action.

I've been looking all over for schematics or a review/walkthrough or anything but I can find is how much everybody likes the series.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

- looking specifically for mod types and what they do
    - would be happy to find the actual schematics with notes

- deneteus

Yikes.....I played through one at a rehearsal place last week and couldn't get any decent sounds out of it.

I ended up running my F/X rack unit into the effects return jack.

I don't know how familiar you are with working on amps, but I would try to draw out a schem of the preamp to see if it is close to any amps that you like or see if you could change components to make it more like another amp like a high gain Marshall or Mesa.

Comment

You can find the scheme for it if you do a search for post 70's amps. it should direct you to the appropriate schematic heaven index. it is basically a 5 stage design no CF, and higher preamp b+. The PA tubes are factory biased a little cold too. I have modded mine several times, and trust me, it may not be worth the time. The biggest problem is that the OT is garbage IMHO.

Comment

Like Drewl noted - you do need to know what "direction(s)" you wish to mod this amp. On the old Ampage board somewhere during the late 1990s I posted a series of "BV" mods but these were almost totally concerned with making the amp more reliable - replacing the input jack with a Switchcraft type, shorting past the headphone jack (which no one ever used and tended to open up) installing some beefier screen grid resistors, etc., etc. - I really don't remember if any were for improving the sound quality. If you're interested I can see if I can find the list of reliability mods but somehow I believe that you're looking for sonic improvements.

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X