traynor DH15 (dark horse) mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traynor DH15 (dark horse) mods

I was just experimenting with different preamp valves. I do use 5751s in V1 and V2 in my vibroverb. Slightly less gain, but overall better sound. I was trying them in my Traynor DH15. I mainly use the USA setting which runs at 12 Watts. After a thorough swap i've learned that you really do need a 12AX7 as the preamp valve. It runs both the Gain and the Master, and lowering the gain on both makes the sound too thin on lower levels. Elaborating on that one:i did have the 'best' sound with an RCA 5751 long plate, but i had to run the Master at 3 o clock (Gain at 12 o clock) to have enough solid sound. Before that it was too thin sounding.It won't hold up in a bar situation, unless you're jamming somewhat acoustically, or you mike it up (which is a good idea anyway with this amp). Still working on the best speaker setup, leaning towards the Eminence Cannabis Rex and the Legend GB128, instead of the Celestion g12T-75 i'm using at this moment. This amp's highs are set too... high. Still trying to figure out if i can change a cap or two.

even though this is a 15 watt amp (12 Watt in USA mode), it runs on 2 6V6s, and i think this amp could do with a bigger OT, given the low level output.The 2 6v6s could easily take it. Couldn't find any info on the kind of OT the Traynor uses. Mind you, the amp stays pretty clean all the way up, which is a good thing imo, very 3D, somewhere between a Champ and a Deluxe.

Comment

Speakers with Darkhorse

Originally posted by ballynally View Post
      I was just experimenting with different preamp valves. I do use 5751s in V1 and V2 in my vibroverb. Slightly less gain, but overall better sound. I was trying them in my Traynor DH15. I mainly use the USA setting which runs at 12 Watts. After a thorough swap i've learned that you really do need a 12AX7 as the preamp valve. It runs both the Gain and the Master, and lowering the gain on both makes the sound too thin on lower levels. Elaborating on that one:i did have the 'best' sound with an RCA 5751 long plate, but i had to run the Master at 3 o clock (Gain at 12 o clock) to have enough solid sound. Before that it was too thin sounding.It won't hold up in a bar situation, unless you're jamming somewhat acoustically, or you mike it up (which is a good idea anyway with this amp). Still working on the best speaker setup, leaning towards the Eminence Cannabis Rex and the Legend GB128, instead of the Celestion g12T-75 i'm using at this moment. This amp's highs are set too... high. Still trying to figure out if i can change a cap or two.
      I like your speaker choice. I wish I had been able to get two but seller had a Tonker to go with it. I made a split stack for the two. Each are 16ohms. Sweet sound with lots of punch.

Comment

Working...
      X