breaking in a speaker. my 2 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking in a speaker. my 2 cents

I think the point of breaking in a speaker is to diminish the stiffness in the cone. You will probably get that when you crank up your amp really loud for a considerable time. But yes, the neighbour thing will kick in and you'd have to put in a lot of time. Hook it up to a 200+ watt hifi system and put it on low volume for a while, then crank the volume and bass up.Don't go overboard now and blow the speaker. You will probably hear the limit of the speaker yourself.The extra bass frequencies -100 Hertz will make the speaker work harder and will force the cone to losen up.Turn the speaker cone to the floor. That helps with the work out as well. The advantage is that the high frequencies won't be so prominent too, so everything sounds less loud. The hifi solution, with the bass cranked up and a Bob Marley cd. Don't think Bob ever offended any neighbour.. or else invite them for a drink, or a smoke..
    Last edited by ballynally; 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM.

playing breaks it in just fine in IME, but others prefer a more regimented approach, and some take it a bit far IMHO

my favorite audio break in tone
    http://www.hagtech.com/media/frybaby.mp3

they recommend running this signal through your speakers at high volume for up to 100h (neighbors?),
    also cables interconnects, preamps, signal capacitors (most auidiophile caps require at least 100h break in before judging their sonic character (or huge expense))

this is my iPhone alarm tone, it cannot be ignored...

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
      it cannot be ignored...

Man is that the truth! It's one of those sounds that continue playing in your head, even though it stopped playing minutes ago! LOL!

Jake

Comment

Working...
      X