lamar ppimv on one side of the PI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lamar ppimv on one side of the PI?

I recently built a 2 channel cathode biased amp (vox based). Last night I installed the lamar ppimv as per Lar/Mar PPI-MV - MetroAmp Wiki but grounding the 220k junction (since the amp is cathode biased). I gotta say - wow, it sounds really good. Definitely one of the best master volume types I've used.

Now each channel is tied to either side of the PI. I was wanting to have a master volume on only one of those channels. Is it possible to have a ppimv on one channel (i.e. remove only one of the 220k bias resistors) without any potential issues?
    Last edited by dubs; 07-29-2011, 01:22 AM.

Not possible. The PI output is where the PPMV works. Since both channels coupled into the PI, the output of the PI is always both channels. So attenuating any output from the PI attenuates both channels. Changing the resistance of only one power tube grid load (the 220k junction) will also always affect both channels since both channels are coupled prior to that part of the circuit.

The only way to attenuate one channel would be with a pre PI MV... Sorry.

EDIT: Maybe a good time to learn about wiring remote switches. You could have the MV on a foot switch allowing you take it in and out of the circuit.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 07-29-2011, 02:08 AM. Reason: afterthought
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
    X