What can I do to a Marshall1959slpri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to a Marshall1959slpri

I have a 1994 Marshall 100watt plexiSLP ri. Is there anything that I can do to open it up a little I have real good NOStubes in it but it's a grainyIts not a bad amp at all, just needs a tweak

I'm not sure what is meant by grainy?
    If the tone is a bit harsh, has the power tube bias been checked recently?
    1993 is getting old; the amp may benefit from a check over.
    A screen resistor or 2 may have blown and the amps only working on 2 or 3 output tubes.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Usually, I'd have to sit with the player and listen and point and talk to put a finger on this.

First, always is cleaning. Dirt sounds like dirt. Next is getting everything to spec.

Then, maybe, we lift a bright cap.
      My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I have that same amp from 1991. The first "ri" model IIRC. I can't be sure what you mean by "grainy". Some players complain about "grainy" but it seems to me like this would be a good distortion quality. The less separated clipping effect being "fuzzy" or "fizzy". Both of which I don't like. But it seems that most players chasing the "vintage" sound actually like "fuzzy" and even a little "fizzy" more than "grainy"

God what have we come to???

One difference in the re issue circuit is a 220pf treble bleed cap that hangs off the treble pot output at the board. If you want the amp brighter you might try removing it (provided the amp doesn't start oscillating).

There are some ceramic caps in the signal path on the board too. Some describe their tone as "grainy". You could try replacing them with mica or other film caps I suppose.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

193 Marshall

Yes its more like it doesn't have difinision The notes are not as clear I tested all mt tubes today and they are fine I wonder if the filter caps might be getting old, 18 yrs is along time.Some days it sound good and some not

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
            Yes its more like it doesn't have difinision The notes are not as clear I tested all mt tubes today and they are fine I wonder if the filter caps might be getting old, 18 yrs is along time.Some days it sound good and some not
            It was made in Febuary 1994 it has on cap on the pots there all on the PCB,and I have been given alot of well meaning ,but wrong advice,because Marshall schematics for the ri changed 3 or4 time since 1994 I hate to take it in all they do is sell me JJ tubes that I do not need

Comment

Working...
            X