Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury Magnetics Mod for Epi Valve Junior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve,
    Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
    I've moved on the various switches that Deaf Eddie makes- the Fat-O-Caster version 2 is probably the easiest one to figure out and memorize. The Chromacaster has the most positions but it is a real bear to operate without the chart in front of you:

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/
    Steve Ahola
    Whew! The Deaf One is one ambitious guy. My brain hurts. The Fat-O-Caster is definitely at the limits of my cognitive abilities.

Cheers,
    Thom
    | sigpic Galibier Design
    | ... crafting technology in service of music
    |
    http://www.galibierdesign.com/
    |__________________________________________

Comment

I beleive this is what Merc is up to in regard to the Merc VJ mods(E-VJ-Schem2b.pdf).

I have spent alot of time with the VJ's, still do. I had a guy come into the shop with a Merc modded VJ. I personally thought that a Hammond 125ESE with these mods (VJ_gold_silver_mods_schematic.pdf ) kicked the snot out of the Merc mods /W merc trannies.

From what I understand is that the stock Ver 1 and Ver 2 VJ tranny is a mismatch to a EL84, 7000 ohms vs. 5000 ohms.
      5000 is what a EL84 wants to see. The mismatch causes lower volumes, flubby bass, note smear and loss of top end.

ZP stated that the is no reason what so ever to use a choke in a SE amp, because its class A. The B+ rail is always drawing full current or voltage( i cant remember which one).

What I am interested in is hearing the Gold/Silver mods from ZP at 18watt with a Merc OT. That would really be the only way to know if the Merc tranny is "better" sounding than the Hammond. Even if is was better, it better be WAY better because the rest of the iron that comes in the Merc mod is basically worth less, unless it was used in a different project.
      In which case it might be worth the $300.

I also feel the cab and chassis are well worth $130 even if ya gut everything else.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Manic; 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Howdy, I've been futzing inside of a Harmony 410 I found out by the curb. It had a dead Jensen AlNiCo 8" in it. The topology is a 5Y3, 1 X EL84, 1 X 12AX7 and a 7 pin for the tremelo circuit. Sadly it's about 100 V short of the Epi's plate voltages. I'm wiring in a SS diode rectifier today in the hopes of obtaining that 40~50 VDC that'll bring this puplet nearer to growling. Also the preamp plates are only getting 120+ and it's not much hotter
        than one of those tube stomp boxes with a wallwart. What really made this turd sound good was making a new baffle outta 5/16" and putting a pair of 8" AlNiCos in there. The bottom end is ceremoniously righteous considering the cab is about 18" X 18". LOL.

Here's it's schemadix:

I'll be interested if you folks have any interesting suggestions in this thread.

Noel Grassy.

Comment

VJ project

I took on my last VJ mod project. 2 channels, 10 watts ; with electronic power braking.

-g
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey noelgrassy, good to see you over here, welcome aboard!
            Not sure what the question is re your old curbside amp...if ss diodes don't do it, a new power trans is in order. I have an old Wurlitzer organ pt that, tube rectified, puts out ~300vdc. It's just a little to small; maybe I'm ill informed, but I think 6V6's sound best at around 350 - 375.
            Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Comment

Working...
            X