Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STF Electronics 5F1 Clone

Hi,
    I built a STF electronics 5F1 clone a few years back and while the amp sounds really nice, it doesn't produce as much overdrive/distortion as I've experienced from other "champ" amps I've used. I did build it with a tone circuit, so I'm wondering if this is where some of the gain in the plain 5f1 circuit is being lost...Thx in advance for any ideas

What does your tone circuit look like? Is it a single-knob Princeton-style or something else?

Comment

Yes, single knob "princeton style"... Full left = Bassy sound... Full right = Trebley sound... Am I right to assume this is a simple HP filter? Thx

Comment

Anyone?...Anyone?...

Comment

For added gain add a bypass cap across the 1k5 resistor on triode one. Don't do the same on triode two or you'll kill the negative feedback.

Edit: not tube one, triode one.
          Valvulados

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Ok, this would be the cathode resistor correct? Grid bias is most often provided by a cathode resistor. If the cathode resistor is unbypassed, negative feedback is introduced and each half of a 12AX7 provides a typical voltage gain of about 30...The cathode resistor can be bypassed to reduce or eliminate AC negative feedback and thereby increase gain Now I'm a little confused because the little research I've done shows the cathode resistor on pin 3 (cathode - triode 2) while the cathode for triode 1 is pin 8...

Comment

Originally posted by dporto View Post
              Thanks for the reply. Ok, this would be the cathode resistor correct? Grid bias is most often provided by a cathode resistor. If the cathode resistor is unbypassed, negative feedback is introduced and each half of a 12AX7 provides a typical voltage gain of about 30...The cathode resistor can be bypassed to reduce or eliminate AC negative feedback and thereby increase gain Now I'm a little confused because the little research I've done shows the cathode resistor on pin 3 (cathode - triode 2) while the cathode for triode 1 is pin 8...
              That is common practice. Triode two in a 12ax7 is often quieter than triode 1, so often they use that for the input which is the most critical gain stage noise-wise and then come back to triode one for the 2nd gain stage. Follow the input lead, you'll get to either pin 2 or 7. If pin 2, you can bypass the resistor on pin 3. If input is on pin 7 you can bypass the resistor on pin 8. Just be careful to not bypass the other one, it's where negative feedback comes in.
              Valvulados

Comment

Wow thatwas quick! Thanks very much. I'll dig in soon and give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                X