Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding a Bassman Ten and need suggestions

Hey guys.

I've got a little vacation time over the holidays and thought I would work on my Bassman Ten a little more. So far I have replaced the speakers, added an adjustable NFB pot, and modded the studio channel as suggested in the Premiere Guitar Article to get it close to that of a Super Reverb.

Love the way the studio channel sounds now.

Now I'm wanting to mod the normal channel to that of a tweed champ or tweed twin. Basically a Tweedy Bass/Trebel/Volume circuit (or as close as I can reasonable expect to get).

Anyone have any suggestions on the caps/resistors to swap to get me in that area. I can read the schematics/layouts but the circuits are so different (and my knowledge of the theory behind what does what in an amp is pretty limited) that I really don't know how to try and implement them in my amp and feel confident it won't fry when I fire it up.

I'm also thinking that I want to yank the MV and change it to a PPIMV.

Here's the schematic for the Bassman 10.

bassman_10_schem.pdf

If someone wouldn't mind taking a crack at either of the mods I would greatly appreciate it.

Not sure if the schematic was attached properly, so I'm including a link to it as well. Thanks.

http://ampedia.redbeartrading.com/da..._schematic.gif

So I spent all day yesterday looking into pulling the MV and installing a PPIMV in it's place. Here's what I came up with (on paper). The MV is a 1 Meg pot, so I was going to pull the pot, connect the wire from lug 1 and lug 3 with a 1 Meg resistor, wire from lug 1 and lug 2 with a 1 Meg resistor, jumper the wire from lug 2 and lug 3 with a wire (no resistor). I spent all day reading about 3 lug pots and I am pretty sure this would be the values of each connection with the MV dimed.

I am then going to follow the diagram for the Lamar PPIMV for a 50 watt amp and install it in the spot where the old MV was. It seems fairly straight forward.

This look right?

If not I'm going to be heart broken because I'm not only dumber than I thought but I put a ton of time into trying to figure it out.

Thanks and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comment

Take the wires for lugs 2 and 3 and connect them together. Connect a 1M resistor between the resulting blob and the lug 1 wire.

Or, replace the 1M pot with a small one (a "trimmer") hidden in the chassis, that you can adjust for the level of drive that works best with the post-PI MV.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        the resulting blob
        Is this a technical term?

Comment

Working...
        X