Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning a hybrid amp into a tube amp? Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning a hybrid amp into a tube amp? Is it possible?

Is it possible to modify the circuit of a hybrid amp in such a way that would make the amp a full tube amp? If it is, do you guys have an idea how much this might cost? I'm afraid it would cost too much to be a realistic option. I'm thinking my hybrid amp could have potential as a good studio tube amp for recording purposes if I could get someone to mod it. Thanks!

Easy. Just pull the tube out of the hybrid amp, throw the amp away, and put the tube into a Fender Deluxe.

You are basically talking about building a whole new amp inside the cabinet. Maybe it would make more sense to get an Epi Valve Jr head and hook that up to the speakers of your hybrid.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Yep.

Hybrid just means it is half tube and half solid state. You want it all tube? Then you rip out the solid state part, and build a tube amp in its place.

ANy amp can be converted into anything. It is after all a metal chassis with parts inside. Put the sort of parts you like in the chassis and that is what the amp us. Now the needs of solid state are totally different from tube amps, so you might almost have to start from the ground up. Pun intended.

And that is what Steve put a little more eloquently.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

+++
        One hitch is that it's most common for hybrid amps to use a tube preamp and a SS power amp (with MusicMan being an exception). Since tube power amps are much more costly to build than tube preamps, and require more space and considerations overall, it's not usually worth the effort.

As noted, you could use a tube preamp and just use the power of the hybrid. Or you could sell the hybrid to get a jump on the purchase of an all tube amp. Or, since you seem willing to do some work, you could sell the hybrid and buy a tube amp kit. That option depends on what kind of all tube amp you need. If you're an uber gainer/metal head guy then I don't know of a good kit. But if you want a classic type Marshall or Fender amp there are a lot of options.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

When I think hybrid, I think first of PV, like the Classic or Mace, as well as the above mentioned Music Man. All with SS preamp and tube finals.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hmmm. Well there you go. I think of all the "Valvestate" amps and some of the similar modern offerings that have a tube preamp (or sometimes just "a" tub in the preamp) and a MOSFET power amp.

I could actually see ripping out a SS preamp and building a tube preamp in it's place. Except that the amps you mentioned above actually sound pretty good the way they are

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Nowadays they're mostly the other way round, with one 12AX7 looking forlorn in the middle of a wasteland of op-amps. Or those hybrid bass amps that use a 12BH7 driving a bunch of MOSFETs.

The old tube power/solid state pre hybrids are a much nicer proposition, as you get much of the wallop of a tube amp without the microphonics. And if you wanted to convert one back to a tube preamp, it would be easy. But I don't know of any still in production.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Just use the effects send or preamp out jack and plug into the effects return or main amp in of any amp with a tube output stage. Or if you look around you can find a stand alone tube power amp.
                Last edited by olddawg; 12-18-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  Or if you look around you can find a stand alone tube power amp.
                  Oh yeah. That's a great way to roll. When I was gigging I found A LOT of use for my Classic 60/60 (Peavey) power amp. I used it all the time in creative ways. Just a great tool to have for a working guitarist.

Comment

Working...
                  X