Are push button power switches crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are push button power switches crap?

I've verified that the power line being attached to the treble knob of my Kalamazoo Reverb 12 is inducing a lot of hum. Instead of moving it to a toggle switch in place of the courtesy outlet or in the fuse holder location, I'd prefer to replace the pilot light with a round, illuminated push button switch (got one rated at 3 amps on hand).

The only guitar amp I've ever owned that I can recall having push button power switches was a 70's Kustom 300 and one of the two switches (power or polarity) did fail! Are they unpopular because they're not dependable? Are they to be avoided?

it really depends on the quality of the switch more then anything.

there are some very nice and expensive push button switches.

generally though a toggle has less points of failure.

Comment

Power swich info

The issue of a switch is based on factors, the problem with maintained switches such as push buttons in your question, is the rating of the switch. In general, your amp hopefully, have a power transformer isolating the power from the wall plug to the circuitry of the tube amp. if this is the case, a 3 amp switch is really only good for a 3 amp resistive load, the power transformer is known as an inductive load, therefore the switch is derated to 50% of its name plate so the switch is good for about 1 1/2 amps, which is probably putting the switch's contacts maximum load capability.

IMHO I would opt for a toggle switch rated at 6 amps to be trustworthy for safe electrical hardware selection. You mentioned about removing the fuse holder, probably a twist on cap type found in vintage tube amps of the late 1900's. Be sure and install a good quality in line fuse holder inside, this limits the current from setting your prized amp on fire. Really cheap soft plastic in line fuse holders will do, some of those cheapo ones are questionable.

Be sure that a three prong cord is used, those plastic grommet cord holders are challenging when a cord change is carried out. If that amp has no power transformer and uses wall power to the circuitry, which some old designs did, consider finding an alternative amp.

Comment

I have a whole load of Oslo SLA series push on/push off lighted switches....DPST. I'll occasionally use these in place of the Mar$hall style lighted rockers in non Mar$hall amps for a different look. But....Mar$hall used these same switches in the 9000 series pwr amps, so go figger....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Oslo-SPM2A-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-SPST-NEW-/06/!CF284BQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKn!E1H6w(QmtBNWZhgzKLQ~~0_3.JPG

They work fine...
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I´ve used them for ages, with no ill effects.
          And they are *real* popular in Hi Fi equipment, go figure.
          Maybe they "enhance the soundstage spatial separation" or something.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X