Crate V16 reverb upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate V16 reverb upgrade?

I've got a Crate V16 Palomino and I recently bought a Mod 4BB3C1B reverb pan hoping to richen up the reverb sound. I thought I'd hook it up and listen before I started drilling holes, and I don't really notice much of an improvement. Certainly not enough of a difference to go through with the swap. My question is, does the fact that I've got a 12AT7 in V3 affect this? Would I notice a bigger improvement if I put a 12AX7 back in the V3 spot? Are there any other mods I can do to get a better reverb sound out of this amp?

Is there anyone out there? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Comment

Isn't this like washing and waxing a garbage truck?
      Before you put time and money into upgrading an amp,
      buy an amp worth upgrading first, one that will last...

Comment

So, are you saying that the thousands of guys and gals that enjoy modding inexpensive amps are wasting their time? I'd have to disagree. It's fun, and if we're lucky we get some friendly advice along the way and advance our knowledge at the same time. If we're not so lucky, we get people trashing our equipment and offering no help at all. The sad part is that you're the only one to even respond. This forum has changed for the worse since my last visit. I think I'll go wash my garbage truck.

Comment

I would suggest putting back in the 12ax7 as that is how the circuit is biased unless you changed that.
          Only worry about what you like in an amp, no one else matters. I have fixed these amps and they get some really cool tones. I do not know what you mean to get out of another reverb unit, more hall effect, shorter reverb times, more control. A reverb should not change your tone, just some sustain and give life, as reflection is heard as normal to the human ear and when not there its sound dead. In a live show I turn off all my reverb and have the sound guy put it there, or in the studio.

I know this is not much help, but the tube swap is where I would start along with figuring out what you are looking for in a reverb, more body may = longer delay time and less modulation.

Comment

Sorry for the flakey responses. There are some truly knowledgeable people on this board. Remember, they all have lives and day jobs. IMHO, these inexpensive amps have similar circuits and components to the boutique stuff. In the end, its still tubes and components. The construction may not last 50 years, but so what. You might try using a NOS tube. You also might want to find out what the band pass is in the reverb section. Changing the circuit eq can make a lot of difference. Many times it is just selecting a value of a coupling capacitor. Just ignore a fool's insults.

Comment

Working...
            X