No announcement yet.

15" speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to use OC speaker too. They did a good job, they even re-magnetized the magnets.
    Two thumbs up.

Comment

That's good to know about the OC reconers! I lived in that part of southern California for over 30 years.

I did what Juan said to the D140 and the HF thing wasn't really noticeable, so I'm pulling the 130 in the tone-ring cab next to see what that one sounds like by itself. Maybe its the cab!

Oh yeah… the D130 has the tinky sounds alright, the way it always has. Thank you for the reconing recommendation!!
      Last edited by deci belle; 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks ... I haven't ruled out the cab yet indeed. That's a good point. I'll try that.

Comment

I once built a 5E5 Pro with a '63 P15N, reconed by Orange County Speakers ... man that one sounded sweet. Unfortunately sending two 15" speakers across the pond twice will probably cost more than what they are worth.

Comment

tonequester here.

Greetings Bluefinger. Sorry to hear of your problem with speaker/cab. I just thought I'd share what the "tech"rep at Weber speakers told me either by e-mail or by phone, I can"t remember which. He told me that cone -rub occured to some extent on almost all 15" speakers. Now, I'm sure that this could have been all opinion, but
            I will say that he was very helpful to me, and seemed to be dedicated to good customer service. He said that when you get an unwanted distortion and track this down to a speaker problem, if it happens to be a 15" speaker. You should eliminate any source of un-wanted vibration from mounting, cabs, dustcovers, etc. If that doesn't get it, he claimed that usually a recone would improve, if not completely eliminate the problem. I realize that the very speakers that you are dealing with are Weber speakers. The "tech"
            said that they had to recone a considerable number of their own speakers for the reasons that I already stated, and he said it was hard to spot "spot" these at the factory because
            the speakers often don't manifest this problem until they are well broken in. He said the problem is much more rarely found on speakers under 15". I know I have never played 15" speakers, and have never had the problem, outside of loose mounting, or a rattling cab. Just an fyi thing. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon.
            Best Wishes, tonequester.

Comment

Thank you, tonequester!

Comment

Thanks a lot! I ams till not sure what to do. The shipping cost os sending two 15" speakers back and forth to the States for a recone would probhably come close to what these speakers are worth. I'll have to find a good speaker tech here in Central Europe ...

all the best
                Herbert

Comment

Do not send them both ways !!!
                  Get a good reconer, have him measure the proper voice coil diameter and height, choose the proper suspension and cone plus accessories and buy the whole lot from Ted Weber.
                  It's a very light package, can easily be sent by regular Mail and won't cause you Customs problems.
                  In fact, I would buy parts for *4* speakers, just in case.
                  Where in "Central Europe" are you now?
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'm in Austria

Comment

Fine, getting USA parts won't be difficult.
                      If you were more towards the East it might be, because of Customs.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                      X