No announcement yet.

Fender Pro Reverb: KT88 mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just learned that the Pro Reverb is the ultralinear version with 70W output rating and way over 500V on the plates. That one has a bigger OT . Would this UL version's PT be able to handle the filament current for 2 KT88s ?
    Last edited by kka; 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM.
    "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

Comment

If it's the UL version, these are already really clean amps. IMO not really worth going to a KT88.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Maybe he wants cleaner than clean
        "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

Comment

Maybe he reads too much bunco on the internet.
          I would be looking at a really efficient speaker before attacking the output stage of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Maybe he reads too much bunco on the internet.
            I would be looking at a really efficient speaker before attacking the output stage of the amp.
            I totally agree. But you have to give 'em what they want. If the customer believes the KT88's will sound better, they probably will... To him. We play our best when we have confidence in our gear. I don't agree with pitching bunko, but I do agree with making the customer feel warm and fuzzy about his/her amp. So... No piching bunko, but if the customer asks I'll give it to them. With the exception of anything that might be detrimental to the goal or dangerous of course.

I don't know if the UL 70W Pro can handle KT88 filament draw or not. A lot of guys switch Super Reverbs to EL34's without issues. Measure the filament voltage as it is now. Then get a pair of kt88's and plug them in. If the filament voltage sags a bunch you'll need to add a filament transformer. If it sags only a couple of tenths of a volt and doesn't get too hot it's probably fine.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I do not understant, when you wish change car to bike or....
              Pro Reverb is KING OF CLEAN.You do not like, change the amp.I have the same amp, and I like more lows, but I using another amp.You can spend a to much money to change amp to better.Better change amp.

Comment

You do not like, change the amp.
                FULLY agree.
                Don't know why, must be the stalled economy, hurricane Sandy or whatever but in the last couple months I have been finding same kind of posts in lots of Forums all over the place.
                Most trying to get pigs to fly or 2 burgers feeding a dozen people.
                There are no mods which can accomplish *such* drastic changes, specially if violating Physics Laws.
                Sorry.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X