Ok to run only 2 KT88s in Fender Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to run only 2 KT88s in Fender Twin

Would it be ok to run just 2 KT88s (1 on each side) instead of 4x 6L6s ? The PT should easily be able to supply heater current. What other mods would have to be done? Screen resistor to what value?
    The speaker output impedance will change too, I assume from 4 Ohms to 8 Ohms, but that I'm not worried about.

This is an old Twin from late 60s without MV.

Thanks for the help.
    "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

You seem to have your answer already. With only two tubes the filament current is fine. The ideal output impedance will change from 4 to 8 ohms. So, a pair of 16 ohm speakers in parallel. a pair of 4 ohm speakers in series, allow the mismatch or change the OT to match a pair of big bottles to the speakers that are in the amp.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck !
      "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

Comment

I would seriously consider increasing the screen resistor value- perhaps 1k 5 watt as a starting point.

Expect lower output than you had previously.

jamie

Comment

Great advice, Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X