Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote controolled reverb on a Bassman????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote controolled reverb on a Bassman????

I am working on a '59 Bassman reissue for a Harp playing friend of mine. The amp has been modded for blues harp even to the point of installing a reverb circuit and tank. The original reverb installation placed the reverb blend control on the chassis by the PI. It also had no switch. I've moved the blend control pot to the GND switch position (and the GND switch inot a new location on the bottom of the chassis). I also placed a small toggle switch next to the pot. We are now talking about putting a foot switch in the system.

My thought is this. The PS on the amp has the HV outputs for plate voltages and also the -52v for bias. I'd have to put in a relay somehow and a jack for the foot switch. How about an RF switch? Has anyone used RF switches to switch amp functions like this? I went online and found more stuff than I care to research. a transmitter I could mount in a stomp box would be good instead of a joystick looking device the player would have to operate by hand.

Any thoughts or histories?

Thoughts. No history... WRT RF switching, I wouldn't.

Use relays that can run off the 6.3V wind. Niether the HV or the bias winding have the current capability for relays.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You mean like a garage door opener to run a switching circuit?
      This seems like a colossal waste of time.... why do you want to beat yourself against a wall like this?
      Go look at how the black face Fender amps killed the reverb signal to mute it and use a simple pedal with a two wire cable....
      yikes.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

like this?
        KEYCHAIN REMOTE CONTROL, 12VDC 6 AMP | AllElectronics.com

Comment

Certainly it CAN be done. But should it? I think isolating the RF from the signal path (which may amplify the input as much as 2500X in a Bassman) could be a tedious and difficult process. You really DON'T want to be sending RF directly into a guitar amp. Of course... AM/FM reciever/ampifiers do it well enough. But I still wouldn't try it with a guitar amp and hope for no switching noise. Especially since good alternatives are already being used. As noted by Bruce. And I still contest that you really don't want to do any HV switching or use the HV or bias windings to operate relays.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X