Vox Lil Night Train Fizzy Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Lil Night Train Fizzy Overdrive

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading this thread about the Night Train's fizzy static type sound that shows up when the amp is breaking up. My Vox Lil Night Train, or LNT, is doing something similar or perhaps the same. The fizz / static comes and goes if you turn up the gain just enough to get some breakup. If you peg the LNT's gain deep into distortion the fizz is still there but it isn't as noticeable because the fizz blends into the distorted sound. I would like to keep the amp's gain fairly aggressive as it is stock but loose the static type fizz. Has anyone hunted this issue down in the LNT? If so, are there any real solutions?

Cheers
    - Nashsnazzy

The Night Train is an EL84 PP output all tube amp. The Lil' Night Train is a very inexpensive hybrid amp with just a 12ax7 preamp tube and a SS output stage. That type of amp is just amplifying preamp distortion which is notoriously fizzy. Not sure if there is a real fix for it. Might be the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      The Night Train is an EL84 PP output all tube amp. The Lil' Night Train is a very inexpensive hybrid amp with just a 12ax7 preamp tube and a SS output stage. That type of amp is just amplifying preamp distortion which is notoriously fizzy. Not sure if there is a real fix for it. Might be the nature of the beast.
      I believe the output is a 12au7 tube, not SS.. It doesn't seem to be an output tube issue. I can bring the gain down and run the thing clean pretty loud through a 1x12. The issue only creeps up when I run the gain high on the preamp.

Comment

Working...
      X