Tone control lift for an 18 watter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone control lift for an 18 watter

Hi! I've built an 18 watt lite, wich is just the normal channel version, but i've noticed that the tone control acts weird, up to eight it increases highs, but passing that piont it still increases highs but also lowers the gain a bit, I know this is normal for this circuit, but I was willing to try it without the tone control at all, I assume this will be just like having the control on ten but without the loss of gain, and maybe it will increase the gain a bit, by eliminating the insertion loss of the control. This is the schem I used:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	18wattLite.gif
Views:	3
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	867155
    I donīt know exactly what components I should eliminate to do this, I would also like to know how can I do it by putting a switch to make a tone lift switch. Can someone help me?
    Thanks in advance!
    Silvio

A 500K or 1M resistor between the wiper of the tone pot and ground should do the trick, or just disconnect it from ground (possible "plop")
    I would put a 1M resistor, and use the switch to shunt it.

Comment

Thanks Kleuck! I wasn't sure if lifting the gorund of the tone pot was all I needed, thats's why better ask first! I tried it and I like the sound better without the tone pot engaged, so I think I'll leave it that way, no switch, I didn't used the tone control at all anaway, always on 8, cause on 10 it lowered the gain a bit, now the amp has a little more gain and is a little brighter, just what I wanted!

Comment

You can use 1M pots for this tone, and tune to your taste, i used it in a small SS amp with 1M pots, half the value for the caps, and 220K resistor instead of the 100K one, did not noticed any drop after 8, but i prefer anyway 14-15 Hour.
        It was at the input, so different issue i suppose.

Comment

try the tone control setup from the vibrato channel, I like that one way better! it does what it's supposed to do, no gain drop or anything

Comment

Yes frus, much people like the tone control setup from the tremolo channel better, I guess it's better but now I'm happy with no tone control at all, I donīt feel the need for a tone control, the amp sounds really great now, it has an amazing tone, I just canīt stop playing through it, it's addictive!

Comment

Working...
            X