Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 Internal jumpering on an on/off switch

Hi,

I'm thinking of removing 3 of the inputs to make room for some modifications (i.e. switches to engage the mods). I'd still like the ability to jumper the channels, so I was thinking of doing this internally.

Looking at the circuit, it seems that I can accomplish this with a 68k resistor to bridge pin2 and pin7 of v1. This of course would make it permanently engaged. Can I wire this 'bridge' to an on/off switch so that I can switch it out when desired?

Full disclosure: This will be my first mod - any help is appreciated. Yes, I've build a few amps. Yes, I know the safety aspects of this.

Did some searching, and found this thread:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20423/

Seems like resistors are not needed? I'm not exactly sure why they are needed in the first place?!

Comment

Ok, so 80 views, and no response. I'll just keep posting with more info until I do something so stupid that you *must* point out my ignorance ala true internet fashion .

So, I
      1) removed the inputs for both normal channels
      2) capped the leads going to the input jacks
      3) bridged pin 2 + 7 on V1.

Apparently (well.. quite apparent really) this wasn't the correct thing to do as I now have a significant hum. I suspect that I messed up the grounding scheme. Or, because the leads to the input jack are essentially 'flying' that this wasn't correct.

I suspect that I should have also disconnected / decoupled pin2 from the lead going up to the input jacks. Doing this tonight. This seems to be how it's done on the 5f1 with a set of 2 inputs (amazing how similar these things are really)...

Anyway, back to the drawing board.

Something that also popped into my head -- I wonder if I could put a linear pot inline with the v1 2 - 7 bridge and dial in a much 'blend' I want between the two channels. This would replace the on/off switch essentially.

More this weekend.

Comment

Put everything back to stock this weekend. No hum. Must be something with the inputs -- thinking 1M 'reference' to ground (but not actually sure what that means).

Rather than removing both at the same time, I took out 1 input - normal #2 by desoldering 68k from board thus removing it from the circuit (also disconnected the input from normal #1 and removed the entire thing from the chassis. (anything sort of this would cause quite a bit of hum). My current thinking -- perhaps I hardware the inputs pre - 68k resistor. You know, remove the jack, but make sure the leads to the board are connected. Anyway, going to try this next.

Comment

Working...
        X