Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Bandmaster TFL5005 amp cabinet swap

Gents,

Has anyone tried to stuff both the amp and reverb tank from a "large-head" cab Fender Bandmaster TFL5005 into the smaller head cabinet of a non-reverb Bandmaster (or Showman, for that matter) ?

I'm not sure if the chassis length is the same for a Bandmaster with reverb and one without reverb... I like the amp, but am really tired of the awkward head size.... packing it around is a real pain... would be great to stuff it into a smaller cab, if I can get away with it without compromising the reverb too much.

Am thinking of just swapping to a smaller cab anyways, even if I can't use the reverb tank.

Tanks much !

The depth of the head cab serves a purpose, keeping the somewhat microphonic reverb tank away from the amp circuitry. You might get away with using a more compact head but you may need to take greater care in isolating/soundproofing the tank from the chassis.

Also double check chassis dimensions, the TFL5005 (& many SF Fenders) is deeper, front to back, than a lot of the BF chassis. Your amp is more likely at '78 than a '68.

Comment

Mojo has nice head cabinets for Fender bf chassis that take a reverb tank. Couple inches shorter than Bandmaster Reverb. Cabinet for Twin head is 9.5".

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
        The depth of the head cab serves a purpose, keeping the somewhat microphonic reverb tank away from the amp circuitry. You might get away with using a more compact head but you may need to take greater care in isolating/soundproofing the tank from the chassis.

Also double check chassis dimensions, the TFL5005 (& many SF Fenders) is deeper, front to back, than a lot of the BF chassis. Your amp is more likely at '78 than a '68.
        MWJB is right. I have a chopped down Bandmaster Reverb head and the reverb hums really, really loud if I try to stuff it in the head. I have to keep the bag outside the head. That's not practical.

Comment

Originally posted by SBax View Post
          MWJB is right. I have a chopped down Bandmaster Reverb head and the reverb hums really, really loud if I try to stuff it in the head. I have to keep the bag outside the head. That's not practical.
          You might need to turn your tank around. Be sure the jacks are facing the front of the cabinet. The problem is proximity of power transformer to the input end of the tank. You may have the tank in with input end near PT.

I've done a few builds of Super (type) and Twin heads, with no extra noise. I have a 69 BMR head. You can unscrew the tank from bottom, turn amp on, raise tank up a few inches and you can't hear a difference.

Comment

which cab will work ?

Originally posted by Raybob View Post
            You might need to turn your tank around. Be sure the jacks are facing the front of the cabinet. The problem is proximity of power transformer to the input end of the tank. You may have the tank in with input end near PT.

I've done a few builds of Super (type) and Twin heads, with no extra noise. I have a 69 BMR head. You can unscrew the tank from bottom, turn amp on, raise tank up a few inches and you can't hear a difference.
            Great ! This is what I was hoping for !

Now all I need to know, is which smaller non-reverb head cab can I get that my '68 TFL5005D with reverb chassis will fit into ? I'd like to get a used one, if possible, due to cost. I don't know where to find exact chassis dimensions of those heads, other than measuring mine directly of course.
            Thanks much !

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy View Post
              Great ! This is what I was hoping for !

Now all I need to know, is which smaller non-reverb head cab can I get that my '68 TFL5005D with reverb chassis will fit into ? I'd like to get a used one, if possible, due to cost. I don't know where to find exact chassis dimensions of those heads, other than measuring mine directly of course.
              Thanks much !
              That will fit perfect in the Mojo head cab for the BF Super Reverb. Doubt you'll find one used. John at thecabguy.com can build it somewhat cheaper than Mojo but will take twice as long to get it to you.

Comment

what vintage head cab will it fit in ?

That will fit perfect in the Mojo head cab for the BF Super Reverb. Doubt you'll find one used. John at thecabguy.com can build it somewhat cheaper than Mojo but will take twice as long to get it to you.
                Sorry, should've been more specific... which vintage head cab will my '68 TFL5005D chassis fit into ? Want to find something of similar vintage. Dual Showman ? Bandmaster ? Even if I have to ditch the reverb tank.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy View Post
                  Sorry, should've been more specific... which vintage head cab will my '68 TFL5005D chassis fit into ? Want to find something of similar vintage. Dual Showman ? Bandmaster ? Even if I have to ditch the reverb tank.....
                  Not one that I know of. Dual Showman is 1" wider, the rest are narrower. It would fit in Dual Showman but look funny with 1/2" gap at both ends of chassis, and extra chassis holes on top.

Comment

Not one that I know of. Dual Showman is 1" wider, the rest are narrower. It would fit in Dual Showman but look funny with 1/2" gap at both ends of chassis, and extra chassis holes on top.
                    OK, thanks.... that's what I needed to know.

Comment

My bandmaster TFL went the opposite way into a twin reverb cab so it's a combo now. On fender guru's site he shows pictures of his bandmaster TFL head and how he made a new front baffle with 2 x 8" Jensens so now it's a mini combo amp for low level situations. Very cool. Lots of mod ideas on that site as well, and youtubes of how the different mods sound

Comment

Working...
                      X