Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know, Valvestate 150 mod to make clean channel worth using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know, Valvestate 150 mod to make clean channel worth using?

I know this is a valve centric forum. Yet.. Anyone have a clue regarding making the clean channel on the Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 150 combo sound like a guitar amp? Anything would be nice. I know it's not worth it buy another amp,etc... BUT. I like the sound of this with my 8 string with Pegasus and Sentient pups on the distortion channels the clean tone sucks and I want a crisper sound with a little caricature? Any links? This is just until I can build my first tube amp. But that amp has to be a monster so it will be a while till I have the chops.

Here is the deal: "worth using", "sound like a guitar amp", "clean tone sucks", "crisper", and we are left to wonder, specifically what does that mean. What if you made me dinner, and I decided to be honest and asked you to "make it taste better," what would you think to do? What would you think I meant? You need to define well what your goal is. Does crisper mean more high end, brighter? Less bottom end? If the amp had a SUCK control, we could probably turn it down. But it doesn't.

I don't know 8 string guitars, what do they have? Another octave below the common 6-string lineup? Are you asking this amp to produce sound outside its normal range? And do the problems you perceive seem to be mainly in those fringe areas?

This is a combo amp. What is THE single most effective way to change the sound? A different speaker. Play the amp chassis through a variety of other speakers and cabs. You might like a Vintage 30 (or whatever) better than the stock speaker. Or a hemptone, or an EV12L. Open back or closed back? There is a huge range of speakers, and cabinets, and each has its own contribution to sound.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Try using a compressor.

Comment

Yea, I have a compressor and perhaps my description of the tone of the amp is not so good. Yet the sound of the clean channel leaves something to be desired. I have tried the JBLs I have left over from my last setup. I prefer the speakers that it has for my current settings. Maybe if I tried the JBLs and adjusted the distortion channels for the higher freq. range. 8 strings go down lower but having an amp that reproduces the fundamentals down there is undesirable as you are battling enough to define the bass and kick. I'm not asking this amp to do anything other than have a decent sounding clean channel. I would say that the clean channel sounds " too flat" or "sterile" or "thunky" or has "no give" or "you can't lean into it" it needs more "Sparkle" (that might be the speakers), less high mids, more breakup at lower input settings. Less "in your face raw guitar" "more forgiving" "give me some grit when I push" might translate into spice to the chef that would make the meal taste better.

Ill experiment with compressor and speakers

let me know if anything comes to mind.
        Last edited by blearyeyes; 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM. Reason: Too much foo foo

Comment

Ok clean channel needs about 20% more gain. OD1 needs abou 10% less.

Clean channel needs to be wide open to get a decent clean tone.
          Weaker pickups never get there.

How would one go about that?

where did I put those schematics.

Comment

Originally posted by blearyeyes View Post
            where did I put those schematics.
            Here?
            Attached Files

Comment

If I lowered the value of R76 (right/center on page one or H4) would that increase the gain of the clean channel going to the valve input?

If anyone that knows what they are doing could clue me in on how to manipulate the gain structure on the Clean channel and OD1 channel I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't think I'm going to mod this beast but I have a need to know.....
              I have to study.. I think I have found my new obsession....

Comment

Working...
              X