CRATE VC-3112 4xEL84 to 2xEL84 mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRATE VC-3112 4xEL84 to 2xEL84 mod?

Sorry guy's I put this on Guitar amps first instead of mods and tweeks!

Can anyone throw some light on the very dark subject of changing a 4x EL84 amp to a 2xEl84 amp using a switch but also removing one pair inner/outer of the four?

I cannot afford a new amp and just want to tame the beast down a bit!

I just want to say I have tried the amp with two valves removed but of course the valves were red plating "a little bit" and although she sounded great I decided to leave the four in for now for piece of mind!

Looking at the differences between the VC-1512 and the VC-3112 schematics (See attached) it looks like on my VC-3112 I will have to add a 60 ohm resistor in series to R43 with a switch across the added resistor, also add a 220 ohm resistor in parallel with R52 with a switch in series with the added resistor to enable the specs to come close to the VC-1512.

Would I also have to change the relevant grid resistors to 10K (depending on valve pair used?) R45/R44/R46/R47 or would these be OK to leave as 2.7K? I understand why I need to change the bias settings for two EL84's but what difference would changing these make?

I also understand that the VC-3112 output transformer would be looking at a change of impedance and that I should change the speaker for a 16 ohm type (No 4 ohm tap) but would I really hear the difference?

As I said earlier she sounded great I just didn't want her to burn up!?

Any help guy's would be very appreciated!

Regards

Lostfollicles
    Attached Files

I just viewed your query today.
    Keep in mind that the plate load will also change. Using a tube specs manual, the EL84/6BQ5 in a P-P pair
    set-up should drive a transformer with a 4k/4kOhm primary, or close to that. But the cathode bias resistor
    (R22, a 120Ohm/5W) will have to increase in value to around 220Ohm/5W. The screen bias resistors R24
    and R25, both 100Ohm/2W, could be left alone.
    [R46 and R47 do not apply to tube bias -- the circuit they are for is the op-amp reverb, so no worries, eh?]
    Nothing else in the would change. But make certain the output transformer is compliant to the 4k/4k or
    near-so. Then remove two tubes.
    See Ya

Comment

You should change bias resistor and speaker to higher impendance ( now 8ohm - become 16ohm, for example).The problem is if you wish to switch.Everything else is ok.
      BUT if you wish to switch betwen 2 or 4 EL84 you should remove R43 and C29 with bridge ( 0 ohm resistor or 10 ohm 5 watt-you can testing bias current) and you should between R41-R42 put negative voltage for fixed bias.Than is eazy.Just pull 2 ouside or inside tubes out and change speaker with 16 ohm(or use extern box)

Comment

Originally posted by zoranrataj2000 View Post
        You should change bias resistor and speaker to higher impendance ( now 8ohm - become 16ohm, for example).The problem is if you wish to switch.Everything else is ok.
        BUT if you wish to switch betwen 2 or 4 EL84 you should remove R43 and C29 with bridge ( 0 ohm resistor or 10 ohm 5 watt-you can testing bias current) and you should between R41-R42 put negative voltage for fixed bias.Than is eazy.Just pull 2 ouside or inside tubes out and change speaker with 16 ohm(or use extern box)
        If he is just trying to "tame the beast" , instead of replacing the speaker couldn't he just put an 8" resistor in series with the existing one. Another thing to consider is just buying a Weber Mini Mass attenuator. They are around $100. I use one all of the time. Might work better and much less trouble.

Comment

Working...
        X