JCA22H too bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCA22H too bright

Really digging my new JCA22H. About the only thing I'd like to change is the treble response. Its very bright.Ive tried a zillion different tubes-new and old stock and different speaker pairings. Right now I leave the presence off and the treble on 1 . Would be nice to dial down the treble output and be able to use the treble knob for varying cabs and such. Any idea's? Thinking some simple "treble cut" with a pot and cap. TIA Bob

Schematic here. Couldn't figure out how to link it directly.

http://starin.info/Product%20Info/Je...0Schematic.pdf

Last edited by rockon1; 12-30-2013, 12:33 AM.
    "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

It appears to be a Marshall tone Stack.

The treble cap (C14) is 470pf.
    Both mid & bass caps (C15 & C16) are .022uf.

I would download Duncanamps Tone Stack Calculator & play around with it.TSC
    I do not think there is much to be done in the tonestack, short of a redesign.

Edit: I ran the calculator.

Turning down both the Mid & the Treble seems to kill the treble.

Comment

Hmmm...I like the mids up but treble almost off. Wonder what a different slope resistor would do? Bob

Comment

Run the calculator.

Comment

OK ran the calculator a bit. Maybe a 500k or 1M treble pot? Bob

Nevermind...that wont work.
          Last edited by rockon1; 12-30-2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Here is a nice read on Fender & Marshall stacks, with Duncan TS sweeps.

Link: GM Arts - Guitar Amplifiers

Comment

I know it may sound like a lame idea but have you tried turning all of the controls off?

Comment

Thanks for the link! Good read. I haven't turned them all off but have dropped the treble and mids real low. I'll tinker with adjusting the controls with my ears instead of eyes. Some one mentioned on another forum to try bumping up R21(grid stopper) to 470k. Any thoughts on that? Thanks Bob

Comment

Lots of treble peaking in that circuit. C1, C8 and C13 are 1uF metal film cathode bypass capacitors. You could just remove them, or replace them with 22uF at 16V or more electrolytic caps. The trick is you have to know which terminal is ground so that the minus side of the electrolytic goes to ground and the plus side goes to the tube's cathode. C1 and C13 affect both channels, C8 only affects the lead channel.

C5 and C6 affect the lead channel only. C7 affects the rhythm channel only. You could remove them or lower the value perhaps by half or one fourth. C6 probably has the biggest effect, especially when the lead volume control is not turned up very far.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

OK, I know this is an OLD thread about an amp that you cannot buy anymore, but for anyone who has one of these and finds it annoyingly bright...

I added a 2.2nF capacitor across the NFB resistor R42 (47k).

The stock amp is still bright with Treble and Presence at 0.
                    Now I can actually get a tone that's dark-sounding at those settings.

It's still bright with both at 10, but now there's plenty of range on both the Treble and Presence knobs.
                    I can actually use them now

(And just to be clear, I'm referring to a JET CITY JCA22H.)
                    Last edited by Terrier; 04-02-2024, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X