Converting a PCB Champion 600 to a handwired 5F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a PCB Champion 600 to a handwired 5F1

I just thought I'd throw up some photos and start a little conversation. Had to play with the layout a little but so far it's coming out pretty cool looking.

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Oh I do I have a question though... the owner of the amp sent me ClassicTone OT with 5K and 8K primary taps. Which one do I use, and why?
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Awesome. Never thought to take a large pc. of board material like that. Its gonna be great and look clean too..

For me...aside from just the fun of doing the conversions (some with recto tube, some with SS recto)...pay very close attention to the OT choice. Used Hammond w/ multi-taps (125ESE's) and can honestly say that the 6V6 really likes 5000K. Also, the 6" speaker likes it better, too. Lot of people say convert to a larger speaker, but don't bother. The 6" speaker really cuts! (A weber alnico 6" is a recommended choice.)

Looking forward to following the build.
      Mandopicker

Comment

That's the speaker that's in it, actually. A 6" Weber Sig alnico.
        ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Just a note...not sure what all happen,but that tube her the volume/switch might just be too close.

Be careful...and continued success.
          Mandopicker

Comment

Yeah that was a bit of an oversight when cutting the extra tube socket hole. They do clear each other and should have enough space between them so long as I position the pot just right.
            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Well the PT showed up in the mail today and it turns out that the end bell that sticks through the chassis cut out is way too tall. I thought the PT would neatly fit under the board but it's much too tall for that so I had to reconfigure... here's the new board layout. Now I'm at a stand still until I can get the chassis painted.

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

here's where I'm at with it. It's almost ready to fire up but I need a couple of resistors to finish her off...

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
                X